Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Fraser-Johnston Furnace repair possible?

POW

We have an old Fraser-Johnston furnace (appx. 40 years old). We just learned that it has a 2-inch crack in the heat exchanger. The service tech said the heat exchanger can not be repaired or replaced. We need to replace the furnace. Is that true? As a matter of personal philosophy, I always prefer to repair something rather than throw it away and buy new (I have recovered my couch 3 times in the last 15 years, and our TV is 28 years old). Is there hope for this old furnace or is it time to ditch it?

PS-- As a housewife with an inquiring mind, I LOVE this forum!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• POW

• Shootist

• jumptrout

• RegUS_PatOff

You could remove the access panel on the furnace then place your 28 year old tv in it and turn it into a entertainment center.

Otherwise, heat exchangers are not repairable.

I see a new energy efficient furnace in your future.

A cracked heat exchanger is potentially hazardous to your health. As jumptrout said, the new ones are safer and use less gas. I really like the Rheem/Ruud RGPS series, a solid furnace priced as a builder's model. If you would like a little upgrade go with the RGPE series; this is a 2-stage furnace with a variable speed ECM blower motor. For about a $600 premium you are planning for the future as pretty much any A/C unit over 14 or 15 SEER requires a variable speed indoor blower. This furnace also has serial communication capabilities. The 2-stage heating is really nice and makes the home more cozy and even temperatured. Since these new furnaces may last 30 or 40 years you may want the upgrade if the budget allows. The RGPE model is compatable with all the Rheem/Ruud A/C models from the entry level to the top of the line 2-stage cooling units. If you have central A/C now that variable speed blower can increase your existing SEER rating by about a full SEER point. Don't be at all surprised that the new models will have a lower BTU rating than your old dinosaur. HVAC engineers have learned over the years that we don't need as many BTU's as once thought. In addition, the higher AFUE models waste much less heat and burn very cleanly.

In Atlanta you have lots of competition amongst contractors so once you determine the size you need to get multiple estimates. You may find as much as $1000 difference between highest and lowest prices. Look in the yellow pages and find the local Rheem or Ruud wholesale distributor in your area. Call and ask for someone at the A/C counter. Tell them you want to have a new furnace installed and could they recommend a couple of honest dealers to do the work. Be sure and get the name of the person providing the references. Have one or two dealers look at your old furnace to make sure there's nothing unusually difficult with your change-out. If there is they will certainly mention it. You can then get pricing over the phone. Once you choose a dealer have them stop by and look at your setup (if they haven't already seen it) before the day of the job so there are no surprises. Get a written estimate before the work begins. A reputable dealer won't ask for any money up front but will expect payment in full once the work is finished and the new furnace is fully tested.

Have fun!

Edited by Shootist

LOL! I would be willing to wager that a person frugal enough to hang on to a 40 year old furnace and a 28 year old TV isn't going to invest $15K+ in a geo-thermal system.

It sounds like you guys are telling me that I'm going to have to (gulp!) throw something AWAY??!! :woot:

Seriously, though, I am so grateful to all of you for taking the time to educate me about this important topic (even you, Jumptrout-- Mr. Funnyman! LOL!). I like the idea of a 2-stage furnace and a variable speed blower. As you say, if I intend to hang on to something for 40 years, it pays to start with a quality product. It's going to take me some time to do all this research, so today I bought a carbon monoxide alarm just to be on the safe side-- it's registering 0 so far.

Well, I'm off to do some furnace shopping. Happy New Year to you all. And thanks again!

... I bought a carbon monoxide alarm just to be on the safe side--

... it's registering 0 so far.

have you seen the crack ?

I had to re-light the pilot light 4 times in one day. Something seemed amiss. :blinky: When the service technician came, he saw a 2 inch crack in the heat exchanger and wavering gas flames near the crack. Using a long-handled mirror, he showed it to me. The crack was rusty, so who knows how long it was there?

The pilot light was very weak, so he scraped some carbon off the jet. Now the pilot light is stronger so it's not blowing out. But the technician warned me about CO poisoning and said I need a new furnace and air handler.

.. the technician warned me about CO poisoning and said I need a new furnace ...

yes,

A cracked heat exchanger is a serious fire hazard.

Do your self a favor and replace it while you can.

A cracked heat exchanger is a serious fire hazard.

Do your self a favor and replace it while you can.

Yes, indeed, Jumptrout! You guys have generously educated me about the hazards and the impossibility of repairing the crack. I may be frugal, I may even be tight as the paper on the wall :deal: , but I am NOT stupid or suicidal! I just need a week or two to research furnace brands and features and to engage a licensed technician to install it. I'm on it, guys!

I'll add that the Rheem/Ruud equipment has been at or near the top of Consumer Reports' dependability ratings for several years now. You will find that most contractors are partial to the brand they primarily sell so choose the brand first. A good question to ask is who is the wholesale distributor in the area and how many branches do they have. Many furnace parts are OEM only so it's important that these parts are stocked locally. The more brances, the bigger inventory.