Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dman81

Maytag Atlantis MAV7600AWW making loud noise during agitate and spin cycle

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Today my Maytag Atlantis model MAV7600AWW started making a loud noise during the agitate and spin cycles. After reading many different posts I suspected it was going to be the bearing. Then I found a thread about someone forgetting to empty their pockets that had nails. The guy ended finding the problem at the pump and cleared the nails. This week I recall a bobby pin being stuck in the tube holes. I had ignored it and thought "Ah she'll be alright". Well the pin did eventually get sucked out but perhaps it's jamming at the pump now??? A few more things I need to mention, I had the pump replaced last year for that same noise. Pump is draining water with no problem. Spin cycle is running fine and agitation is ok not really that strong but that's probably a separate issue.

How do I troubleshoot this? I am not familiar with disassembling washers but I am some what mechanically inclined.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The noise could be the bearing, the brake, or even the pump. Can you make a recording of it, such as with your digital camera, upload to Youtube and then post the link here so we can see/listen?

A "noise" is way too vague if we hear the noise we normally can diagnose the problems

I too would like to hear this "Noise". To get a better view of things try to remove the front pannel, and then take the video. There are 2 clips one to each side of the front of the washer, use a putty knife to depress them, and then the top will fold up. You may need a flashlight to see the metal clips. Then there will be 2 screws to remove, then you can move the front pannel, and take a better video. If you can't do a video, check youtube for a video that makes a sound close to yours, and post it here for us to listen to. Since you say it makes the noise in wash, and spin, does this sound like your noise

Edited by RegUS_PatOff

may need to see it in action with the Lid open

(Lid Switch by-passed)

Sounds like a drain pump to me. I would Tilt the machine up, and remove the belt. Then take a flashlight, and look at the pump pulley. You are looking for a thin piece of metal, that is rubbing on the pump base. it will be silver in color and look cerrated.

Does sound like the drain pump. Remove the front panel and run it with the panel off. The pump is down in front, RHS. See if the noise originates from it.

Part link ==> Part number: AP4373022

Part number: AP4373022

Ok thanks guys... Tomorrow I will be removing the front panel as you guys mentioned. Can the pump be easily accessed just by removing the front panel??? If foreign objects are what is causing the problem will they be jammed inside the pump or by the belts?

It will be inside of the pump, does the sound only happen when the water is draining? You can access it though the front access panel. (Pump)

The sound is during agitation and spin cycle....

Look between the pump pulley and the pump you will see metal I am betting.. When you remove the pump Lean the washer against the wall so that water doesnt go everywhere we have hose clamp pliers... Also have a bunch of towels handy....

PS it is so much easier when we can see and hear it to diagnose it thanks for the vid.. PS that is like 130.00 labor to put on so your saving a bunch of money DYI

Edited by washertech26

Hi guys just wanted to post my results. So during the creation of this thread we still continued running the machine with the loud noise at night. Afterall, it was still agitating and pumping out water. Yesterday was the day I was gonna begin the inspection and come Friday evening the noise is completely gone. This to me confirms there was something obstructing the pump or belts. Thank you guys again and look forward to learning more applicance repair skills.