Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
The_BORG

WHIRLPOOL ET1CHMXKQ05 REFRIGERATOR leaking water because of condensation drain

4 posts in this topic

I have a WHIRLPOOL ET1CHMXKQ05 refrigerator that's about 6 years old. I first had an issue with the condensation drain in the freezer getting clogged with ice almost 2 years ago when I was out of town for 2 weeks. I found the info to unclog it. Easy. Then it happened again back in September when I was out of town for a few days. Since them it's been happening once a month or so. Last time I saw the info at http://applianceguru.com/forum1/19172.html but didn't try to make a copper wire heating rig that is shown in that URL. Now it's that time again and I want to make that wire rig, but I have a question:

Does the wires that actually run down into the drain pipe itself damage the drain pipe when the wires heat up? That's my only concern with doing this.

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Make your life easy and install this part: 819043. Bend the heater down slightly to get it closer to the drain hole. That's all you need. The coper wire works, but it's a PITA to install and you will end up with chopped up hands from the evaporator fins. lol.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Added part link.

Thanks for the info. I desperately needed this yesterday! Hopefully I can get it quickly. I need to defrost the freezer now. I wish I had this tonight so I can install it without having to take everything out & put it back in, but when I do install it, it will be quick, I hope.

It is literally 5 screws ... 4 to remove the back panel, 1 to install the heat probe ... and yer done.