Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
ebcravens

kenmore front load washer wont agitate or spin

6 posts in this topic

Dear Samurai,

I live out in the country where repair men do not visit.

I have a Kenmore front load washer model 417.43042200 which will not agitate or spin when we turn the dial to either function. It will fill with water, it will empty, it will shut off and buzz if you advance the knob and pull out manually.

I replaced the door switch on the advice of another forum. but the new switch makes no difference.

There does not seem to be 110v to the motor control unit, though i have no wiring diagram and am not sure about which colored wires red, brown, striped white, pink etc to test so I tried them all.

Also cannot find the way that the main cycle control knob and spacer come off the front so I can get at the timer mounting screws. The knobs are on tight and I do not want to pry and break them.

Thank you for any help and advice.

ebcravens, hawaii

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Kenmore 417.43042200 made by Frigidaire
The symptoms of a bad Door Switch is that it will Tumble, but not Hi-Speed Spin.
If it doesn't Tumble nor Spin at all,
it could be a bad Motor Controller.
Check it's internal Fuse.
If it's blown, the Controlller is bad.
http://fixitnow.com/...loading-washer/

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1206430

Motor-Control-Board-134149220-00710323.j

Thank you Sensei,

I took the motor controller out, cleaned it and could not find the exact fuse...one item looks like a car fuse but is milky white, another item is the flat black plastic mechanism mounted with a single screw just on the outer end wall of the controller unit with four galvanized prongs emanating from it. Could see no burn or scored marks on the panel board or anywhere inside the controller. Just mouse droppings:) Thank you for your time and help.

...one item looks like a car fuse but is milky white,

that may be the Fuse...

You could test it with an OHM meter...

Just mouse droppings

Wonder what they ate to produce those droppings - better investigate for chewed wiring etc.

To remove the knob, If i remember correctly..ether have the knob pushed in or pulled out and turn counter-clock wise, it will unscrew from the timer shaft............... But it is more of a failed speed control board..........the milky white gizmo is the fuse, the other gizmo is probably a transistor ....................The problem could also be a rodent that is looking for some chow, they will chew on anything till they find what the want......wires, rubber hoses, plastic fittings, concrete, .............