Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buchawk

Bosch Dishwasher SHU33A06UC/43 Does Not Heat Water

8 posts in this topic

My Bosch dishwasher started taking forever to finish and was not heating the water at all. I found this wonderful site and after looking at the bear it looked like to get at the heating element, I figured I'd try the 5th law (water /= circuit boards) and look at the control board.

One of the solders on the back is burnt really badly. Left a 3/4 inch burn mark on the plastic cover. The flip side of this burnt solder is a relay box ( http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Song-Chuan/899-1C-F-C-12VDC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsqIr59i2oRctmjNVNnQKz4NLJcTSVoPbo= ).

Is it possible to resolder this to fix or is it too burnt out? Also, is this most likely the cause of the heating problem or could it be some other problem and I still have a bad heater?

I included pics of the front and back of the board showing which relay the burnt solder was under.

post-67653-0-01861400-1328378513_thumb.j

post-67653-0-58526300-1328378541_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

After searching the forums, it looks like the relay/solder that went bad is for sure the heater relay. I have no soldering gun and no experience with soldering anything and here's my next question--The pin seems to be completely obliterated. Does this mean resolering is no good? The relay itself can be found for less than $2. Can I replace that, clean and sand the opening really good and resolder?

... Can I replace that, clean and sand the opening really good and resolder?

yes, worth a try

I ordered a new relay (like $4 for the part, $12 for shipping oy vey). I bought a soldering gun and accessories and unsoldered out the old relay leaving a few nice clean holes and one burny looking one. My concern is the circuit board is damaged. Any suggestions?

... $4 for the part, $12 for shipping oy vey).

... My concern is the circuit board is damaged. Any suggestions?

1) may have been worth ordering (2)

2) if there's not much circuitry left to solder, you could always add a jumper wire to wherever that trace goes

I ordered this relay ( http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=81C8194&Ntt=81C8194 ) and installed it with marginal soldering skills at best (it was my first solder). Took me longer to figure out how the plastic control module fit back onto the dishwasher faceplate than the soldering but I finally got it on there. Powered it up and nothing. Forgot the fuse was still off when I was tinkering with it. So I power it on and run a test cycle and at least for now, the water got super heated. Stopped that cycle and put dishes in and they are running now. Keeping fingers crossed.

I have two questions going forward. #1 I'm getting a very faint smell of burnt electronics from the circuit board (I have not put the large faceplate back on yet). Is this kind of normal with a fresh solder? Or is this likely a problem with a bad solder?

#2 Is it pronounced sollder or sawder?

... I'm getting a very faint smell of burnt electronics from the circuit board

... Is this kind of normal with a fresh solder? Or is this likely a problem with a bad solder?

.. Is it pronounced sollder or sawder?

not normal, may want to "feel" the solder joint for heat (disconnect power)

pronounced saaaa der

not normal, may want to "feel" the solder joint for heat (disconnect power)

pronounced saaaa der

After letting the cycle run and man the heater is certainly working, the smell may be from the insulation on the door or something. It's almost rubbery more than electrical. Either way I have to nearly press my nose up to the door get even get a whiff.

Thank you RegPat and Samurai Appliance Repair Man for this most awesomest site. Saved me a bunch of money and made me look like a hero in the family.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0