Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bradford White MITW40LGBN12 Water Heater Exhaust Blower not working

Rick Crowe

I have narrowed the problem down to the power exhaust is not working. I can not tell if it is the blower motor or selanoid switch. I have a second identical water heater which I used to swap out parts until I found the gerneral area that was bad. When I swapped the exhaust fan unit that fixed the issue. How can I determine if it is the vacuum switch, selanoid or the motor. The motor blades turn freely and I can not find any areas that look like any part was ever hot or even warm.

Still need parts so I can have two water hearters working again.

Thanks, in advance, for your help

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Crowe

• Bullstok

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• RegUS_PatOff

... How can I determine if it is the vacuum switch, selanoid or the motor.

pagefrom45917a.jpg

Did the blower ever start? Did the burner ever light or try to light? Did you ever get a error code from the gas valve? Swapping parts does not really narrow down much. It would be nice to have more details.

The Pressure switch tells if the blower is working and vent is clear. Use a manometer on the hose while the blower is on and compare to specs. Alternately, to manually test, remove the hose and lightly blow / suck into the pressure switch. You should hear a click. Remove the wires and test for continuity before and during the previous test. If the results of before and during do not change then the switch may be bad. You would still need the results of the first test if the pressure switch passed a manual check.

The temperature switch should have continuity. It only opens if the blower housing gets too hot.

The temperature switch continuity test ok, closed. The pressure switch works freely and the continuity was successfull. I wired the motor to a separate power source and the motor did not operate.

Green - ground

Black - hot

White - neutral

There appears no way to separate the motor from the fan housing to purchaes the motor only. Looks like the motor and housing with the fan have to be purchased as a single unit. I would just like to replace the motor everything else seems to be working fine.

Your questions:

Did the blower ever start? The water heater worked for 7.5 years with no issue.

Did the burner ever light or try to light? When I swapped parts I took the part from the non-working unit to the working unit next to it. The parts worked in the functional unit so I did not swap back to the non-functioning unitl. Only thing that did not work was the blower motor.

Did you ever get a error code from the gas valve? The gas valve does not have any error code read outs.

Do you know where I could but a replacement part, blower and motor?

If we could get the blower housing apart the motor is built by Jakel Incoporated, number 110533-00, 120V, 60 HZ, 2.3A 3000RPM Thermally Protected Class B INS

The water heater is a Bradford White Model MITW40LGBN12, S/N AD4553568.

I mean do you have a source for me to purchase the vent fan for my water heater?

I mean do you have a source for me to purchase the vent fan for my water heater?

The entire top is considered a unit and expensive. I do not deal in retail. Sorry. Possibly try a electric motor service shop. Keep in mind that this is what vents bad things away from your family. Please, Don't attempt to half-ass it.

Edit: I should have said the entire fan assembly is one unit, not nessesarily the whole top. Sorry.

Edited by Bullstok

Thanks for your help. I agree it should be purchased and installed back as a compete unit. I would not take any chance with fumes or gas build ups.

Thanks again, have a nice day.

• Team Samurai

Topic moved to the Water Heaters forum.