Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Admiral Dryer AED4475TQ1

Adirondack Bob

Hi All, This is an Admiral Dryer Model# AED4475TQ1 that is completly dead. I tested the power cord, there is 240 volts at terminal block, the start switch ohms o.k., the thermal fuse is o.k., I installed thermal cut-out kit #279816. Still Dead. There isn't much to this dryer. The only things left are the timer and the motor. Any tips on how to tell which one it could be? Thanks, Bob

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Adirondack Bob

• Derik

• RegUS_PatOff

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Wow you're quick! Yes, with wires removed. Checked door switch also. I tested everything three times! Just not sure how to check the motor or timer. This dryer is 20 months old...

and you checked the Neutral ? . . . . 120v to either Red or Black

The Thermal Fuse you tested... the white plastic one ?

Yes, I tested nuetral to both red and black on terminal block. Yes the white plastic thermal fuse. Ohmed it out then I jumped it out also. That was the first thing I went after. I searched for a broken wire somewhere. Like I said there isn't much to this dryer. I replaced the other thermal fuse and thermostat on the heater box also, just to be sure.

while the Dryer is set to run a cycle:

Test for 120v AC from each side of white Thermal Fuse to chassis (a good ground)

Test for 120v AC from each side of Timer Motor to chassis (ground)

I see. I took the wiring diagram with me. (I will put it back when I am done) It looks like the Timer is one side of the Thermal Fuse and the motor is on the other. I am not going back there until Thursday. With all the tests I have done so far, besides a broken wire, do you think it may be either the timer or the motor? Thanks, Bob

Ohmed out door switch. Trying to understand. Testing for voltage on timer side of thermal fuse will show if timer is sending voltage and therefore o.k.? And testing on motor side of thermal fuse means timer is sending voltage, thermal fuse is o.k., and voltage is reaching the motor?

What does testing on either side of the timer motor prove?

I know without the wiring diagram in front of you it is difficult to see what I see. I appreciate the help, Bob

You know most of your tstats and cutoffs, door switches, ect can b bypassed to confirm assumptions??? But if thermal fuse and doorswitch is good it's likely u have a bad start button part #3977456 to confirm carefully bypass to confirm!!!

Being bout year and a half old I would lean towards timer issue! Did you check your contacts on timer with the chart on schematic??????

.. What does testing on either side of the timer motor prove?

if the Main voltage (L1) is getting to the inside of the Dryer at all

im hoping he post back about his timer issue :whistling:

Timer was indeed bad. After I took it out, I shook it and there was a lot of rattling going on inside it. Thanks to everyone that helped!!!!

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Added part link to timer.

I've had a rash of timers going bad lately in the newer Whirlpool branded dryers. I think alot of it has to do with the fact the timers are 240 volt timers rather than 120 volt timers with a separate relay for the heat circuit.

• Team Samurai

Posting the part link to the timer for others coming along later and reading this excellent topic ==> Timer

Is this a common Timer, and do you guys consider it truck stock? Also, is there a website that you can type in a part number and see a list of all the models that use that particular part? Thanks, Bob

• Team Samurai

Is this a common Timer, and do you guys consider it truck stock?

Nawsir, I don't stock any timers. Too many different kinds and they're liable to sit in the truck for months and get damaged.

Also, is there a website that you can type in a part number and see a list of all the models that use that particular part?

That'd be awesome! Midwest Timer may have something like that. I'm posting via phone right now or I'd post the link but just Bing em and you'll find em.

Thanks Samurai, I may have answered my own question: www.vvapplianceparts.com Type a part number in the box and a list of models show up.

... is there a website that you can type in a part number and see a list of all the models that use that particular part?

at one of those partstore :whistling:

Timer W10185972

Maytag YAED4475TQ1

Whirlpool CEDX631VQ1

Whirlpool EED4300VQ1

Whirlpool IED4400VQ1

Whirlpool RED4400VQ1

Whirlpool RED4440VQ1

Whirlpool YIED4400VQ1

Whirlpool YRED4340SQ2