Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore 153.321841 water heater tripping high limit

randtm

Okay... Long time no update on this, but here I am again. After about 6 months, it acted up again. This time, I discovered it has melted the upper left corner of the upper thermostat and cover. I never got around to getting a clamp meter, which I think I should, but I'm pretty convinced that while this unit was made to convert to 5500 watts for the lower element, it just doesn't seem to have appropriately sized components to handle it. I think it would be safer all around if I replaced the lower element again and this time went with a 3800 watt element. Which brings me back here. Sears lists the element as a 31906. This appears to equate to a State/AO Smith 9001619005. I can only find a couple of places that even have this element and they are outrageously expensive. I'm guessing there is an updated element that isn't listed for this unit, but is compatible. Anybody know anything about these that could tell me the best element to use? Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• randtm

• RegUS_PatOff

• Bullstok

• jumptrout

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"NOTE:

UPPER ELEMENT: These water heaters are equipped with 3800 watt elements.

LOWER ELEMENT These water heaters are equipped with factory installed convertible elements,

which can be operated at 3800 watts or 5500 watts.

Convertible elements are not offered as replacement parts.

ORDERING INFORMATION

If a replacement 3800 watt, 240 watt element is needed,

order item no. 42-31906 replacement element.

If at the time of installation, the water heater was converted to operate at 5500 watts,

order item number 42-31908 replacement element.

(See model rating plate "If Converted" box)"

search for

3800w Elements are available on "that auction site"

$ 31 free shipping

OR maybe search for

3800* heat* element

This appears to use standard 1" thread in elements (they use a 1.5" wrench). If so, get any with the watt rating u need. They are everywhere. And cheap. If u have crappy water go for lower density elements if possible (the longer ones that double back on themselves). Cant get 3800? Then get 3500, they are like $10. Or try a 4500. It doesn't matter much as long as the voltage is correct and you aren't exceeding the rating it was designed for. Although lower wattage means lower heating capacity (it will take longer to heat up).