Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Hachi-Ban-San

Whirlpool model LER8857EQ1 Dryer Motor Stiff - Can I Clean or Lube It

5 posts in this topic

Greetings Sensei!

My 9-year-old dryer started making louder noise than normal the other day.  It also sounds louder than normal when you start it up - like it may be drawing more amperage than normal.  After cleaning out a fair amount of lint from the enclosure and not seeing any obvious problems, the noise was still the same.  I removed the drum and turned it on and again it sounded about the same.  I removed the blower wheel and motor for more inspection and cleaning.

The motor can be turned by hand but it seems a bit stiff to me.  As you continue to turn the motor by hand you can feel the resistance vary.  Seems like I have a case of lint/crud binding things up.  Can this be cleaned or lubed to free things up or is it a goner?

Thank you Master for any knowledge yo care to share!  (Great website by the way!)

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

you can try blowing some compressed air to clean it out but more than likely the motor bearing is bad. Over here we just replace the motor. If you are lucky also make sure you do not get any lubricant on the pulley or the belt will slip.

Thank you Master.  Just finished ordering the motor.  No sense fooling around when Momma's not happy (Ain't no beer drinkin' when Momma's not happy!).  Thanks a bunch!

Let us know how it goes. I love happy endings! :geek: