Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidenceā€¦

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
tking1375

Roper Gas Dryer RGX3514RQ0 Does Not Work in Auto Sense Mode

28 posts in this topic

Reg is correct I did get two different temperature readings in auto dry and timed modes.

Just to reconfirm my results:

• Dryer heat was read with an empty load in both modes.
  • I tested both auto dry and timed dry modes through 4 cycles.
  • Thermometer was clamped onto the back of the dryer vent to avoid inconsistent readings, with the tip suspended inside the vent at the center of airflow. No clamp contact was made on sensitive areas of the thermostat (just up at the dial).
  • Timed dry was consistent through all 4 readings between 120 and 175 degrees.
  • Auto dry was less consistent and ranged between 120 degrees and 142 degrees, but never went above 150 degrees and only got to 134 degrees during one reading before shutting off.
  • Visual inspection through the observation port confirmed the cycles were shorter in auto dry mode.

I'm aware that something must be responsible for this, but also accept the workaround of just using the timed dry mode or auto dry in the "more dry" setting.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

.... I'm aware that something must be responsible for this,

Did you buy this Dryer new ?

possibilities:

1) not the model number posted

2) Dryer was repaired at some time and Timer (and/or other parts) were replaced with different part numbers

Yes, in fact the dryer was bought used and not all that long ago. I know I copied the model number down correctly, but I really like the theory that someone has previously done some repairs and potentially installed a non-standard part! That seems most likely to me and helps explain why things aren't quiet as they should be. Nice work!