Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
trevorstorey

How do you remove a rusted pump on a direct drive washer? 110.26722690

10 posts in this topic

I've got a Kenmore washer MOD: 110.26722690, that has a driveshaft which has been joined by the bonds of RUSTY matrimony to the pump. I did some pretty nasty things to the two of them to try to induce a divorce but to no avail.

First I pulled with my Olympic arm wrestling hands, then pried with a screw driver, then I pried with a cats paw, then a hammer and crow bar. NOTHING!

Then I decided its power tool time! Got out the grinder and cut away the pump. Finally I was able to rip off all the existing pump and rust.

BUT.....In the process it looks like I damaged the front of the motor (see in attached photo #1).

My Questions are:

1) Can I still use this motor? Picture #1 (3363736) It looks sketchy....

2) Is my other motor (8528157) compatible? They look like the same exact motor?

3) Are there any more efficient ways of removing a rusty pump from the driveshaft other than brute force?

4) Is there anything you can put on the driveshaft/pump interface to avoid rust build up?

post-70038-0-75022800-1334087891_thumb.j

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

1) No, that Motor looks pretty much hatched

2) Yes, those 2 part numbers sub to the same

3) Thats what I have had to do on numerous occasions, if it looks like it ain't gonna come - chisel the centre from the pump and use a rotary tool to grind/split/clean the pump material from shaft. Note that as water leaks from the centre of pump that it also contaminates the front bearing in the Motor.

4) A wee dab of anti-sieze lube, or axle grease to the shaft when pump is installed certainly can't hurt. The best defense is occasional removal and inspection so it may be solved prior to escalating to this level.

Part Links:

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Motor/661600/675936?modelNumber=110.26722690

Drive-Motor-661600-00632402.jpg

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Motor-Coupling/285753A/1195967?modelNumber=110.26722690

Motor-Coupling-285753A-01029882.jpg

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Pump/3363394/3296?modelNumber=110.26722690

Drain-Pump-3363394-00554734.jpg

I use a 1" hole saw right down the middle of the pump then clean the motor shaft up with 3" makita disc grinder. Takes about ten minutes.

<<<I use a 1" hole saw right down the middle of the pump>>>

This is what I love about this forum---learning others tech's solutions that are so simple and practical---that it makes me grin & chuckle :)

Great tip!

Thanks Dudes, this info has been mondo helpful!

yep learned about the hole saw idea from the old guy that trained me to fix washers and dryers

Right effin on! I love a reason to get out the grinder....

"If you insist on watching over my shoulder ma'am, I must insist you put on these safety glasses..."

Edited by KurtiusInterupptus

normally i can get them off with a hammer...but every now and then.....

normally i can get them off with a hammer...

The Pump, or the Customer on your shoulder ?

;) its Hammah time!