Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

York H2RC048S06A Fan Needs Push, But Already Replaced Parts

zold

? I Wonder if the existing dual capacitor was rated correctly for the new motor that was installed a year ago?

If it wasn't and the new motor called for a different capacitor rating, what would the ramification be to the new motor

and/or the old capacitor if it was in-fact able to make it start and run correctly for the last year that it has been working?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zold

• RegUS_PatOff

• Bullstok

• Shootist

Did you remove the drain plugs from the down-facing (shaft) side of the motor? I've seen many motors fail in their first year because the drain plugs weren't removed. If the capacitor is good the motor has to be bad (assuming you wired it correctly). If you replaced a 3-wire motor with another 3-wire motor you can't get it wrong.

A word of warning for anybody else....stay away from chinese HVAC parts; especially anything labeled "Packard".

? I Wonder if the existing dual capacitor was rated correctly for the new motor that was installed a year ago?

If it wasn't and the new motor called for a different capacitor rating, what would the ramification be to the new motor

and/or the old capacitor if it was in-fact able to make it start and run correctly for the last year that it has been working?

The replacement motor was the same make/model as the original and the new and old caps were the same exact rating. Granted, something could have been defective, but I was careful to match the specs on the labels. Certainly worth mentioning, though.

Did you remove the drain plugs from the down-facing (shaft) side of the motor? I've seen many motors fail in their first year because the drain plugs weren't removed. If the capacitor is good the motor has to be bad (assuming you wired it correctly). If you replaced a 3-wire motor with another 3-wire motor you can't get it wrong.

A word of warning for anybody else....stay away from chinese HVAC parts; especially anything labeled "Packard".

The bottom of the motor has two holes in it, but no plastic plugs of any kind that I could see. The motor has a wiring harness connector, that plugs only one way into the rest of the unit, so it wouldn't be possible to wire it wrong, as it is "plug and play".

Is there a better replacement motor than the AO Smith F48J66A48 that is in the unit?

I just remembered something about that York/Luxaire/Coleman unit you have; the fan wire to the capacitor and the compressor start wire are both shades of brown. What posessed those York bozos to do that escapes me. Make sure the brown wire going to the quick connector is the one connected to the fan terminal on the capacitor. I got my two browns reversed before on one of those units and the compressor actually started and ran with it wired wrong (kickstart installed) but I got a call back on it the next day and discovered the error. Nothing damaged, thank goodness. I still think you have a bad motor if the capacitor is new. Having said that, if the capacitor is chinese get another (different) one first. I've had great success with the Amrad capacitors. Only one failure in 2 years. I won't use anything else.

As for the quality of that motor? Most manufacturers aren't going to spend top dollar on an OEM fan motor. AO Smith makes a decent motor. Make sure rain water isn't pouring down directly onto your motor.

Edited by Shootist