Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
trevorstorey

REMOVING A DRYER MOTOR FROM BLOWER WHEEL?

10 posts in this topic

HI IVE BEEN REPAIRING WASHERS AND DRYERS FOR SIDE MONEY AND BEEN DOING QUITE WELL!

A SERIOUS PROBLEM I'VE RUN INTO IS REMOVING THE MOTOR FROM THE BLOWER WHEEL.

THE PAST 5 MOTORS I HAVE TRIED TO REMOVE I HAVE STRIPPED THE PLASTIC BLOWER WHEEL NUT HEAD THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE BACK OF THE MOTOR SHAFT.

I'VE WATCHED MULTIPLE VIDEOS TO MAKE SURE I AM TURNING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND FOLLOWING EXACT INSTRUCTIONS.

EVERY TIME I HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE BLOWER WHEEL AND CUT THE SHEET METAL AWAY SO I CAN PULL THE MOTOR OUT FREE.

THEN I'M LEFT WITH A PERFECTLY GOOD MOTOR BUT HOW THE HELL TO GET THE PLASTIC CRAP OFF?

ID APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL TRICKS OR METHODS TO SALVAGING A PERFECTLY GOOD MOTOR FROM THE DAMN BLOWER WHEEL.

THANKS

TREVOR

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Do these dryers have brand names and model numbers?

They are all whirlpool dryer motors: models are S58NXMKE-6674 part #3395652, S58NXKRD-6294 part#3391888, S58NXMZK-6925 part# 8538262.

Im pretty sure its all the same process getting these motors off the blower wheel.

Let me know whatcha think...

Thanks

What process are you using?

This is how I'm doing it. TO THE T!

no wonder, you'll never get it apart that way.

Leave the front clip on

use the biggest cresent wrench you can on the blower wheel.make it as tight on the plastic as you can.

rotate the cresent wrench to the right so it's up tight against the cabinet or drum roller shaft

then take a big pair of vise grips and lock it on the belt pulley, lock it in the 12:00 position as tight as possible.

then wrap some electrical tape around the vise grip to keep it from unlocking.

now take something solid an hit the vise grips to drive them clockwise.hit it hard

this works 90% of the time or more.

Hmmmm. Sounds like an interesting method. I will try it the next time.

Any advice as to what to do once I have already cut away the blower wheel and have the motor free. The plastic crap is still stripped and all over the end of the motor shaft tho.

I have about 5 dryer motors like this. I was thinking about taking them down to an auto shop to see if they had any impact tools that could take the remainder of the blower wheel crap off.

What do you think?

Lock the belt pulley end shaft in a vise.

Use a pipe wrench to remove the nut on the blower end.

If that fails use a Dremel type cutting wheel to remove the nut.

wpdry106.jpg

when all else fails, a blow torch and a bit of pb blaster does wonders.