Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
themax3000

LG Steam Dryer mystery leak - DLEX7177RM

5 posts in this topic

DLEX7177RM Steam dryer has mystery leak that the customer notices after most cycles, coming from near the front center of the machine. I ran this unit for quite some time and could find no leak. Customer indicated that a previous servicer replaced something (maybe steam generator?) and indicated that this part breaks all the time and they should get used to replacing it.

I could not locate the source of the leak. I went into dx mode and activated the steam generator, and only ended up with a drum full of water, but could find no leak. DX

Any ideas?

themax3000

<<<DLEX7177RM Steam dryer has mystery leak that the customer notices after most cycles, coming from near the front center of the machine. I ran this unit for quite some time and could find no leak.>>>

In most cases---this is caused by a partially restricted vent system.

When the back pressure increases due to a restricted/partially blocked vent system---moisture/steam "escapes" from the drum during the cycle (fairly common).

Check all hoses for tight connections as well (it's rare to find a leaky hose).

<<<I could not locate the source of the leak. I went into dx mode and activated the steam generator, and only ended up with a drum full of water>>>

To initiate the DIAGNOSTICS TEST MODE...

Press/hold the MORE TIME and LESS TIME buttons

Then press the POWER button and release all three buttons.

To test the STEAM GENERATOR funtion...

Press the START/PAUSE button 4 times.

NOTE: During the STEAM GENERATOR test mode---the SG pump *will flood* the dryer if allowed to run too long.

<<<Customer indicated that a previous servicer replaced something (maybe steam generator?) and indicated that this part breaks all the time and they should get used to replacing it.>>>

False.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

The STEAM GENERATOR in an LG dryer serves 2 functions...

1) Static Reduction---Most of the dry cycles will add a small spray of steam into the drum during *the last* 15 minutes of a cycle.

2)The EASY IRON cycle adds a *heavy* amount of steam to the laundry load to leave clothes very damp in preparation for *ironing*.

If STEAM DRY is selected (any cycle)---the STEAM GENERATOR will be turned off during the last 8 minutes of the cycle.

If using the STEAM FRESH option---the SG will NOT energize if the Moisture Sensor Bars detect moisure in the load (clothing).

Edited by john63

John63, I believe you have misread what TheMax3000 is working on: LG Steam Dryer.

You appear to be explaining a leaking steam generator in an LG washer and using the the wrong detergent, (I don't believe the wrong detergent used in the washer will cause a dryer to leak?).

<<<John63, I believe you have misread what TheMax3000 is working on: LG Steam Dryer.>>>

Holy Mackerel ! How'd I miss that !!! :)

Thanks---I corrected the above post.

", (I don't believe the wrong detergent used in the washer will cause a dryer to leak?)."

It would not surprise me to find a customer putting detergent in a dryer! They do everything else!

Thanks for the guidance.