Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Goodman AC GSX130361

jlb813

I have run across a brand new unit that I can get for about $600 below retail price. It would be replacing an existing unit that has given up the ghost. I have tried to find someone locally to install, but they want to sell me a unit and do the installation. None are willing to do installation only. It seems to me that since the wiring, vent, and thermostat already exist, it shouldn't be too hard to hook up, but never having done an installtion on anything other than a window unit, I'm unsure. Is this something a novice can do? Are there any books that would explain the process?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jlb813

• jumptrout

• Bullstok

• Shootist

Top Posters In This Topic

you'd probably need

some gauges

and possibly a source of Freon

brazing equipment, etc

Refrigerant gauges

sandpaper

filter drier

acetylene torch

silver solder

valve wrench

schrader tool

vacuum pump

nitrogen tank

Big Blue bubbles

knowledge

I think that covers it.

When you say "UNIT" condenser,airhandler or both?

Your number is for condenser only.

Companies don't get involved in this sort of thing for many good reasons. You will likely find out about some of them.

Sorry about the incorrect model number. The unit I am talking about is an all-in-one package AC unit. Obviously the unit I referenced would require much more detailed work than I am capable of doing. The correct mod # is GPC1336H41A. I think this unit will require connecting existing wiring, ventilation, and thermostat.

The new unit has to be sized correctly for your existing ductwork or it will not function properly. And unless your old unit is exactly the same configuration (supply and return air duct locations), someone will have to modify the air ducts going into and out of the unit to match the new opening locations and have correct airflow.

Edited by Bullstok

Thanks for the answer. The new unit is dimensionally identical to the old unit (LWH), but I'm not sure about the supply and return lines. Both units are 3 ton units so the duct work capacity should be sufficient. There may be a connection issue, I'm not sure; because the old unit is still in place. I will pull it out and see what the supply/return lines look like.

What is the brand and model of the old unit?

A pkg unit is simple enough to hook up.

If you use tap screws to attach the supply and return plenums use short screws and be conscious of where they go.

The new Goodman needs a square to round plenum adapter sold separately.

You will also need;

foil tape

mastic

nylon tie bands

1/4 inch tap screws

duct strap.

Is this going in a site built house or mobile home?

The home is a mobile home that was bricked in and a room added. The connection is at the added room. The old unit is a Goodman as well (at least that is what one of the local AC guys told me), but the label plate is not completely legible. I think the reason no one wanted the job is because I gave them the wrong model number and the old unit is a complete package unit. They probably thought I wanted to go to a split system but would only supply the condenser unit. No one would do a job like that. The house is a rental house and I haven't been able to be there when anyone showed up so there hsa been some confusion. The bottom line is if I can't get someone else to do the installation, I feel comfortable that it is not beyond my capability though it will certainly not be easy.

Make sure you're putting in the correct size.

A package unit is nothing more than a big window unit that you hook ducts to. All you need to do is connect the return and supply ducts and connect the power and low voltage wires as others have said. Start by disconnecting the ducts on the back and yiuy will probablt figure it out. It can be difficult to find someone to do the installation for you if you aren't capable.

Now, as you've seen most A/C contractors don't typically like dealing with folks attempting to circumnavigate the supply chain. What happens when that guy spends several hours installing that unit only to find out that its DOA? He can't exactly load it back on the truck and go swap it out. The "savings" doesn't exist. Unless you're buying a discontinued or overstocked model there's no way you're going to get that unit cheaper than the contractor. The contractor has a set amount that he will charge for the installation (and his profit). When I'm approached with such a situation I will charge my usual fee and will install the unit without any labor warranty beyond installation workmanship.....and I make that very clear. In addition, if you have an issue down the road with your unit that you purchased elsewhere I will not bend over backwards with emergency service like I would had I sold you the unit in the first place. The funny thing is that tmost "bring your own unit" folks expect the same level of service after the sale. What sale?

Another word of warning......don't buy central A/C equipment online. Many local wholesale distributors will not provide warranty parts for units that didn't cross their dock. If I were buying a Goodman unit I would definately want first year labor and quick access to parts. Does anybody look at consumer ratings before they buy A/C equipment?

Edited by Shootist