Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

No Power Whirlpool RM278PXL Built In Oven Microwave Combo

freedomfive

Hi guys! So, today is officially the first day of taking our property maintenance and repair business full time. Well, I've been doing it full time for a while now but my husband has finally made the leap and left his other job (I'm so proud of him- it takes a lot to start up on your own like most of you have done!) I am so thankful for this forum and the help I have received here so far, and I look forward to learning more and having my experiences help others. Here is the situation I am requesting help on for a call I am going on tomorrow:

Early 1980's built in microwave/oven combo Whirlpool RM278PXL. The microwave was acting up (overheating things?) and then today no power to either the microwave or oven. Owner checked and no gfci or circuit tripped. What should I be looking at/ testing? I have looked at RepairClinic and there still are some parts available.

Thanks in advance,

Natasha

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freedomfive

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• RegUS_PatOff

• NCARepair

• Team Samurai

Hi Natasha,

Congrats on the Big Leap! It's a scary but exciting time-- there's nothing like being your own boss. And you actually have more job security being self-employed than you do working for The Man because you're more in control of your own destiny.

Do you have the tech sheet or wiring diagram for this unit? There has to be a thermal cutoff that's tripped and killing power to the unit. Also, have you checked the incoming power supply with a meter?

... no power to either the microwave or oven.

no power to either Oven ?

then it's a connection box OR house power problem

There should not be any cut outs to the oven portion of this combo. Check breaker for 220 volts first then the supply line behind the unit.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions (and encouragement!)

Today will be my first time on site so I will look at the power supply and see....

Natasha

Alright...life is never what it seems ;) When I went on site I found out that the original info I had was wrong: the oven is working just fine, it is only the microwave that is having problems. They said it started this last week: one time it really overheated water- they said the water was in the regular amount of time but when they drank it, their mouth was burnt. Then it didn't work.

When I arrived the display read "000" and the light worked when I opened the door so it obviously had power. I put in a wet dishrag and turned it on. It ran and the rag was heated. I guess it's one of those things like the symptoms always disappear at the Dr's office ;)

So, what should I be checking?

Thanks in advance,

Natasha

I never heard of a microwave heating too much!!!!

Probably operator error, put in a much longer time then they meant to and didn't realize it.

• Team Samurai

I never heard of a microwave heating too much!!!!

Me neither! I think they left something in there too long and, coincidentally, one of the HV components failed later. There may be no connection between the "overheating" and component failure.

Here's how to troubleshoot the microwave using the Divide and Conquer Method™ ==>

Thank you for the responses. I hadn't seen the the microwave "divide and conquer" method yet- that will be very helpful!

Thanks again,

Natasha

This microwave has a broken stirrer belt. Part #311958. Drop down the control panel and reach up to the left above the cavity. Work the belt around the pulley with one hand while keeping tension on it so it stays on then hook it to the small pulley on the blower motor. When this belt breaks you will have hot spots in the oven. Easy to see how this works if you purchase a magic light bar from your supplier. They are about $5.00.

NCARepair, very good thought. I forgot about that, not many microwaves use a belt to turn the stirrer fan anymore. Most are turned by the air flow from the cooling fan or just have a mica wave guide cover now days.

If there is a stirrer fan in a microwave and for some reason it doesn't turn NCARepair is absolutely correct that you will have hot spots and if the item being heated happens to be just in that spot all the microwave beams hit it directly instead of being dispersed evenly around the microwave cavity

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

Whirlpool RM278PXL c.1982

Belt # 18

click on picture

Drive-Belt-311958-01280915.jpg

O2009778-00006.png

Great sleuthing- thank you for the replies! I will go ahead and order that part from RepairClinic since it costs less than the gas back and forth to the site ;) I'll keep y'all posted...