Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dougwalker

Why does window A/C have a bellows controlled drain valve?

6 posts in this topic

LG thru-the-wall 1 ton A/C unit with heat... there's a drain valve in the rear corner of the pan, but why not just have a hole? The darn thing appears to be thermostatically controlled, here's it's part number:

5220A30006A

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

It is there because accumulated condensation assist in cooling the refrigerant lines for correct operation.

Oh, as much sense as that makes, then when does it ever open? I haven't seen it open yet, and there are no wires going to it...

It appears to have a bellows so it must be thermostatically controlled.

Maybe it drains when it gets cold, or when heat functions are selected. They would not want water to freeze in the pan, and the water would not aid the heat functions.

When in cooling mode, the condenser fan slings water onto the hot condenser thus aiding the heat dissapation.

Yes, I need spell check... but why itsn't there one in Windows 7, or IE, or AOL, or this forum?

Stupid brain lets me down

Edited by nickfixit

hmmm.... opens when cold? That's a twist. One of these days I'm going to pop one of these in the freezer and then hit it with a blow dryer just for poops n giggles. THANKS FOR SHARING!

Best regards ~

Doug

I do recall reading some tech info on a window unit of a brand I don't recall. A heat/cool unit, which had a condensate drain valve as NickFixIt suggests ... opens when cold so any standing water doesn't freeze and jam the condensor fan.