Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

whirlpool refrig m#GDSDHAXVB02

cuzzin sam

Hey folks, I have two complaints on this one. First, the ice bin above the dispensor frosts up severely once a month or so. I suspected the flapper but it seems to be opening/closing and seating fine, so there went my one idea.

The second "problem", according to the older couple who owns the refrig is that the door seals (both sides) are so tight they can barely open the doors. It does take a pretty healthy yank to get either door open - any ideas on either situation? Thanks guys, Sam

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cuzzin sam

• Budget Appliance Repair

• RegUS_PatOff

... the ice bin above the dispensor frosts up severely once a month or so. I suspected the flapper but it seems to be opening/closing and seating fine

... the door seals (both sides) are so tight they can barely open the doors.

1) bad Door Gaskets letting in warm, moist air

2) Door gaskets "frozen" ? (warm air)

Nope, the door gaskets look great - as a matter of fact they look like they're making the perfect seal - touching great all the way around and no frost or anything around them, no coolaid dripping down and sticking, it just seems like an extra strong vacuum holding the door shut. Also, nothing else in the freezer is frosted, just the ice bin. One of the other repair guys told the customer that ice gut stuck in the flapper on this model and he should allways check to make sure it was closed all the way. I was just wondering if any of these flapper doors had given anyone else intermittent trouble - it just seems thats what has to be the culprit. Thanks, Sam

Do they used crushed ice often/only, not sure if this is the same type but on a newer Whirlpool that one of my customers have that was under warranty they had continuing problems of icing and ice chute plugging up.

The warranty tech told them they must use cubed ice not just crushed, if only using crushed ice it can get crushed so fine and plug the ice chute, using cubed between helps knock any remaining crushed ice out to keep the chute cleared.

• Hmm, that sounds possible, but for eighteen hundred bucks you'd think folks could use the crushed ice selection all they wanted - especially since it's an option right there in the door. Oh well, I'm gonna tell em to try cubed ice only for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys, Sam

Don't have to just use cubed, (but would be good for a test to see that it stops the problem from reoccurring), just alternate and used cubed every other time or so to make sure it doesn't build up with crushed ice.

I just talked to the customer - they were told by another repair guy that crushed ice could cause a problem so for the last month they've only used cubed ice and the problem persists. I hate to change parts without knowing for sure but I'm starting to think the flapper may need to be replace just bacause I can't think of anything else. What's your opinion on that?

I don't know and I can totally relate to your statement, "I hate to change parts without knowing for sure".

I've never heard back from customer having any more icing related problems and it's been a few months.

It's usually pretty obvious if the flapper has a problem but if everything else appears OK then that's where I would probably start too, have you made sure the flapper damper/delay is working correctly and not trapping ice cubes causing the flapper to stay open?