Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore washer 110.28032701 spin basket will not float,binds.

NCARepair

Machine gives an OL code during wash. Found spin basket binding on drive shaft and not floating up to allow agititator to move freely. I was able to free it up but it still occasionally sticks. I am going to order a spin basket. Does anybody have experience with this problem? Should ii also order the shaft kit?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NCARepair

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• jb8103

• nickfixit

You will find the shaft is rusted, and yes you should install the kit. Actually, you probably don't need the basket, just clean it up real good when you have it out.

Thanks. I will review the pinned thread on this and order the kit and tool. Figure about an hour on this job?

• Team Samurai

Part link to tub bearing shaft and seal kit for future readers ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Tub-Seal-and-Bearing-Kit/W10435302/2118925

Tub-Seal-and-Bearing-Kit-W10435302-01366676.jpg

And the special installation tool ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Bearing-Driver/W10447783/2119011

Bearing-Driver-W10447783-01366691.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ouch, $68 for the tool. I'd have to pass some of that on to the customer, not something I usually do, but in cases where I'm not likely to need it again for...? I dunno, could be a day, could be a year.

Well of course you pass it on to the customer. All expenses are. Buy the tool, these will be good money makers. There are a bunch of these machines out there.

If you pass the cost of the tool to the customer, shouldn't the customer get to keep the tool? I had some new tires balanced last week. I'm glad the shop didn't charge me for the balancing machine. :ermm:

• Team Samurai

The cost for new tools, training/continuing education, insurance, retirement/disability planning, etc., should all be built into your pricing structure. If you're using the Blue Book, it does this for you. If you're charging unrealistically low rates and depending on your wife's job for health insurance, you're running a hobby, not a business.

Name for me one successful business that does not pass on all costs of doing business? If you are not then you are subsidizing that customer, you may as well get your checkbook out and write them a check.

I think the question may have been, what percentage of the price of each special tool,

do you add to each required job .. ?

• Team Samurai

I don't know about percentage but I know I'm charging enough on each job that I can acquire special tools and test equipment as needed. For example, I work on a lot of Dacor ranges. At some point, I needed to buy the Dacor-recommended Fluke 52 dual channel temperature meter at $260. I didn't directly pass that on to the customer for that job but that particular job went out at over $1,200. My average Dacor repair is $875. Most of that cost is in the technician skill fee. The cost of special test instruments, like the Fluke 52, are figured into the skill fee codes used in the Blue Book pricing. So each time that instrument is used, the customer pays something for it. Like when you go to the dentist and he charges you for the use of the x-ray machine. And the capital expense for tools and test instruments are tax-deductible. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I take a small percentage of each revenue received & set it aside for purchasing tools/equipment I need/desire to make my job more efficient/easier. Sometimes I just purchase cause I have to have it to do the job. I needed the Samurai Appliance Repair Academy for both reasons. So I purchased a subscription. :thumbsup: