Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

supco 3in1 starters

suampman

Can someone explain; Is there a difference between the 3in1 starter kit and the hard start kit? Is the 3in1 essentially a hard start kit? How much difference is the current draw for a 1/12hp compressor compared to a 1/5th hp compressor? I am not doubting the experience of those who say they are bad for the compressor. I just gotsta know. I would like some technical data, if it is available. How do you know if a compressor fails that it was because of the starter (capacitor)? I would think that supco could not sell these units, in this litigious society, if they are that bad. Thanks for any info or answers that follow. Great website.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suampman

• RegUS_PatOff

• Scottthewolf

• NCARepair

Top Posters In This Topic

These should ONLY be used if the replacement compressor is no longer available or the customer doesn't want to spend the money on replacing the compressor or the whole refrigerator. It is NOT a permanent solution to the problem, you are just giving them time to shop for a new refrigerator or more time to have the compressor replaced. If the compressor will not start with the OEM relay, capacitor and overload, there is a reason why it won't start.

I think all of the "hard start" Compressor fails...

is because the Compressor was on it's last legs before installing the "hard start" kit.

The differences are in the built in Capacitor (if any) and the Overload device rating.

I stay away from them. Oem relays are not too expensive and provide a better repair. A good tech should be able to sell an oem repair if done right. Customers do not even know about them so why tell them? My discussions with other techs about these lead me to believe they are lazy and only want to carry one relay. Nothing like getting the hum/click and thinking it is going to be quick and finding out a hard start has been installed then failed and the wiring is all chopped up. I agree with reg if the original wont start it there is a reason for it.

I did not have the original relay and capacitor, which were both bad, so I installed the RCO810. The local appliance shop told me he puts them in every used refrigerator he sells. That is why I really am trying to get to the bottom of this. If you guys have had bad experiences with these I will go to the customers house and replace with the original. I would just like to know why they are bad and why they are not called hard starts, like the actual hard start kits. I really appreciate your responses. This is something that puzzles me because the difference between 1/12th hp and 1/5th hp does'nt seem like that much, but to be honest I have not done the math. Thanks.

they're called "hard starts" because the (already bad) Compressor is hard to start,

and these kits give it a littl;e extra help to start.

The difference between the 1/12 and the 1/5 may be the size (amp) rating of the over-load device

and the size of the starting Capacitor.