Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
billpartsch

GE PFS22SISBSS Freezer Not Cold Enough

4 posts in this topic

Oh, Mighty Samurai:

Unfortunately, our home came with a GE PFS22SISBSS refrigerator, serial starting with AL. I replaced the muthaboard once already when the freezer temp went up to 15. (Tech checked the appliance, noticed fan wasn't spinning, said it was the board, ordered it, and then I installed the board myself and saved at least a hundred bucks. I didn't know then about the recall and don't know now if my unit would be covered.)

Now the freezer fluctuates daily between the low 20s and a smidge below zero. It makes ice and everything stays pretty frozen except the The refrigerator seems to stay in the 36-40 range. The fan is running. I replaced the two thermistors in the freezer. I checked the J2 plug today; both pin 3 to pin 5 and pin 3 to pin 8 came up at over 13vdc on a digital meter. (Maybe I didn't use it properly?) I also noticed that the compressor kicks on for a second or two and then conks out, as though it has forgotten what it meant to say. I've read around your forums, but alas, I am confused as to whether the problem is due to a defrost component, the compressor start relay, the muthaboard or what.

I'd appreciate it greatly if you could guide me on finding a diagnosis. Specifically, how do I use the multi meter to check for the appropriate symptoms, and where exactly on the appliance I should be placing each probe?

Thank you very much.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... PFS22SISBSS refrigerator, serial starting with AL.

... I replaced the muthaboard once already

... J2 plug today; both pin 3 to pin 5 and pin 3 to pin 8 came up at over 13vdc on a digital meter.

... also noticed that the compressor kicks on for a second or two and then conks out,

1) MB and Evaporator Fan would have been under recall

2) a bad Evaporator Fan can ruin the MB

3)

J2.3 Fan common / J2 pin 3 to pin 8 = 12 VDC

J2.5 Condenser fan / J2 pin 5 to pin 3 = 13.4 VDC

J2.8 Fan supply voltage

4) sounds like a bad Compressor Start Relay

may be your only problem

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/1265640

Start-Device-WR07X10097-00783308.jpg

Thanks for the prompt response. I suspected the relay was the culprit, and I should find out by Thursday when the part should arrive.

1) MB and Evaporator Fan would have been under recall

2) a bad Evaporator Fan can ruin the MB

Does the above mean that badgering GE customer service won't get me free replacements anymore? Just curious, but if the relay doesn't remedy the situation, I may become more than just curious.

I don't know, but the Relay could cause all of your current symptoms.

May depend if your serial number has been marked as a MB replacement in that recall.