Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Condenser Fan stops running- Fan or capacitor?

Guest horn4life
Go to solution Solved by RegUS_PatOff,

My fan motor is new,new fan blades,new cap, but still shuts down when it heats up. I shutdown the entire system, let it cool down and it will turn back on and run normal until heat up again then fan shuts down but compressor stays running every time. Why is this happening? Outdoor and entire system is about 14yrs old. While it’s running it cools my house down like a new AC system, just having issues with the fan running as it should. Any ideas?

payendo@gmail.com

Installed a new Goodman 3 ton AC unit back in 2015, since than AC stop cooling and blowing hot air time to time, I called my trusted my AC guy who installed it in the AC (no more trusting), since last 3 years he is kept charging me, few times he blamed I did not change the air filter (even it was not that dirty), short story, after burning so much money on calls, I tried to trouble shoot the issue myself. I learned that AC runs fine 2 or 3 days and then it start giving hot air, I went out side and saw the fan is not running and both copper  pipes are hot. I shutdown the system completely from inside and after 10 min turned it on the system and all start working fine again till 2 or 3 days and I am keep doing it till last week.

Now I replaced the motor and Cap by self and waiting for the next stop but not hit one yet.

Hello,

Issue with my A/C unit.  When on, condenser fan spinning normally and all seems ok, however, air is not cool. Basically just room temp like it’s on fan setting.  First thought is it’s probably low on Freon or there’s a leak.  However, the other issue is that when the entire system is off completely, the condenser fan outside will start to spin very slowly by itself, stop, then spin slowly again.   Any ideas what the issue may be??   Any help is appreciated.   Thx

• 1 month later...
jeffrimerman

Fan motor and capacitor must be a common issue.  I noticed my ac was on but my home was getting warm.  I went on my condo roof and saw that my condenser fan wasn't on and neither was the pump.  I pulled the fuse and checked them and popped them back in.  I happen to put my hand on the back of the fan motor and it was pretty darn hot.  I kept padding it to see if it would cool as I touched it and the fan started wanting to spin so I smacked it harder and the fan came on.  Before the fan came on the pump came on for a while.  I felt the side of the condenser and it was getting hot but obviously the fan was not pulling the heat off the coils.  After a while when the fan came on the pump came on and the system seems to still be working after 45 min.  From what I can see it's either the capacitor or the fan motor.  Since the capacitor I think is a run cap to help the motor run and me smacking it seemed to help it run then I'm thinking it's a  bad cap.  It's $8 at home depot so can't hurt to swap that out first.  It's a 35/5 370v.  Amazon had the identical one for $13, HomeDepot had another brand for $8.  The motor didn't seem to have any resistance when I spun it will my screwdriver.  Anyways this was a good thread to read so thanks to the pros for contributing their knowledge.  If mine stops  working again and I end up diy-ing and fixing it I'll report back.