Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Tampa Patty

Kenmore (Whirlpool) 110.29962890 noisy, no spin

23 posts in this topic

Hi, gang. I have lost my groove...

The washer agitates fine. Pumps water out fine. Won't spin. Sounds like it's spinning but is isn't. Sounds like a jet taking off.

I checked the motor coupler. It's fine.

The notches on the drive block look good. (I think.)

The clutch pads still look thick, but they had a gray sheen. (Metal shavings?) I sanded them lightly. BUT, I found a loose C-shaped fastener in the bottom of the clutch and realized that the plastic cam (is that the word?) that normally moves the clutch pads had fallen off the bottom of the shaft that comes down through the brakes. When I tried to reinstall the cam up above, I saw that there is no longer a groove for the C-shaped fastener at the bottom of the shaft. The bottom tip of the shaft has worn away. (I tried raising the brake pads. There's just no groove, period.)

I haven't reassembled yet. Does that plastic cam have to physically be clipped to the shaft for it to work? Is that my problem?

Patty

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes, sir.

Can you post a photo of what you're looking so I can see if it's what I think it is you're taking about?

Here's the cam in position up on the bottom of the (agitator shaft?) and here it is, approximately, how I found it in the clutch.

There used to be a groove on the bottom of the shaft that held the C-shaped clip that you now see resting in the clutch (drum? bowl? bell?)

Patty

P.S. By testing the lid switch, I meant that i pushed a clothespin into it when the lid was up. It made a lot of noise when I did that, so I figured it was getting the signal.

post-33921-0-85887200-1350234848_thumb.j

post-33921-0-28924100-1350234868_thumb.j

It looks like the spin pawl (the "thumb" that's supposed to stick out on the white plastic piece in your photo) is broken off on the basket drive. I'm not finding it as a separate part number; it looks like you need to buy the entire basket drive to get the factory-installed spin pawl. You can see it in the photo on this page ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Basket-Drive/285792/1254

I know my pics were really small. Here's a closer look at the spin pawl. Let's see... I know that with the transmission out, the spin pawl slides up that tiny bit of shaft that pokes out through the middle of the brakes on the basket drive assembly and the spin pawl previously was held in place by a little C-shaped clip that goes in a groove along the bottom edge of the shaft. But there's no longer a groove at the bottom edge of the shaft and the metal looks worn. I guess my question is: Does the spin pawl have to be clipped to that shaft to function?

Patty

Oops. Sorry, I meant to attach this view instead.

post-33921-0-24626900-1350240204_thumb.j

post-33921-0-94012000-1350241464_thumb.j

Edited by Tampa Patty

Sigh.

You're always so helpful and I appreciate it. But I'm going to get a new washer. It's just time.

I'll be back, no doubt, in about 53 weeks.

Patty

Yes, there is a clip that holds the spin pawl on to the basket drive shaft:

wpddwashbasketdrive3.jpg

If you're saying the shaft itself will not longer hold the retaining ring, then, yes, the basket drive would need to be replaced. You could buy a new washer if you want but you probably won't be happy with the new stuff out there and whatever you buy will be more expensive than replacing the basket drive in your good ol' direct drive washer. This is one of the best T/L washers ever made and they're not making it anymore. Personally, I would hang on to it as long as I could. But I'm just stubborn that way. :samurai:

Would you, even if it were solidly rusted after 13 years in an open air garage...?

Would you, even if (in something of a ceremonious hissy fit) you had taken a pair of scissors and cut through the wiring harness to the motor....? (Not that I'm admitting to something so rash.)

It's just that the week began with a dog bite on my left (transmission-holding) hand, and then someone broadsided my Mini Cooper and then the washer died.

I want something shiny and new.

With a budget of $500 to $800, what would you buy?

Patty

It looks like the spin pawl (the "thumb" that's supposed to stick out on the white plastic piece in your photo)

Spin Pawl ?

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/670561

Cam-63341-00825645.jpg

OR

Brake Cam Driver ?

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/2690

Clutch-Band-kit-285790--00555270.jpg

Whirlpool (legacy) Direct Drive Washer

no longer made

may still be able to find a new one

had been on clearance for $ 249 w/ free shipping a year ago..

now, maybe $ 399 + $ 64 shipping (depending on location)

(see one of my last posts)

http://appliantology...d-washer-dryer/

Wow. That looks interesting. How do I know when I'm shopping whether Whirlpool made the washer under some other name?

post the model number here ..

Whirlpool makes

Amana

Roper (some)

Kenmore( some)

others

although I don't recommend craigslist,

There may be some good used Whirlpools there

otherwise, for Front loaders..

there's sears outlet stores .

various brands are good

(post model numbers).

Will do. Thanks so much.

Are Maytags hard to work on? What do you think of Maytag Bravos XL MVWB750Y?

Maytag Bravos XL MVWB750Y - that is a top load direct drive machine. Not hard to work on. Made by Whirlpool (like all modern Maytags) so internals are virtually identical to WHPL Cabrio and Kenmore Oasis versions. Unless you love a particular function on Maytag you are not getting anything distinctly unique by paying more for Maytag model. (Side note - There are lower end models being given the Cabrio/Oasis name, entirely different mechanical design; avoid these)

Here are some complaints I hear on these:

1) not enough water - it is a low water machine - if you like to control water level you are out of luck on these

2) banging noises - tub can and will contact cabinet walls once in a while - machine will usually halt to try to deal with it. not a functional problem

3) stuff in drain pump - small items left in pockets can a do get into pump - not a machine problem

Problem I see:

Some newer models (2008 - on?) have been killing bearings early. Look at Oasis bearing sticky on this forum. Can't tell if newest models have corrected this yet but hope WHPL has addressed it as they are not cheap machines. Maybe another member has heard something.

I'm now looking at a used but supposedly in good condition Whirlpool direct drive: LXR7244PQ

Will that be just as good as my old Kenmore?

Maytag Bravos MVWB750Y c.2011 ... is a "direct drive", but not the usual direct drive

(I'm not sure of their repair history)

W1108101-00003.png

Whirlpool LXR7244PQ c.2003 is a "regular" direct drive

W0406085-00004.png

W0406085-00003.png

Since you are the one, the only Tampa Patty, a past recipient of the coveted and cherished Apprentice of the Minute award, I will share with you our recent washing machine purchase even while knowing that the choice I made will cause some of my Brethren here to raise a Spock-like eyebrow at me.

Our faithful stallion of 15 years, a Gibson front-loader (Gibson is Frigidaire's budget line) finally found itself on Broke Drum Mountain one day. It was wounded beyond reasonable repair so the moment arrived that every appliance owner dreads when you have to take your trusty work horse out back, the one that had washed your your children's soiled undergarments with love and tenderness, and give it a quick and merciful end. After the appropriate 15 minutes of mourning, we began the search for a new, young stallion to shoulder the burden. It had to be a front loader because the tumble action wash is superior to anything that any top loader can offer; it's an optimization of cleaning effectiveness, minimizing clothes damage, and low water use (because we're on a low-productivity well). We started looking at the GE Profile 4.3 c.f. front loader with steam on Home Depot's website just on a lark:

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Washers-Dryers-Washers-Front-Load-Washers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc3pj/R-202554058/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202759898#.UHx6uWl27ss

We started out just curious about the process of purchasing a major appliance online with no real intention of completing the sale. But at some point during the checkout process-- which, again, we had no intention of completing-- the price was suddenly and mysteriously discounted $500 with free delivery and take-away of our then-euthanized old stallion. That was the clincher. Besides, I actually liked that GE washer (and GE front loaders, in general) and have the printed service manual for it. It was just too good a deal to pass up so that's the washing machine we now own.

The transaction, delivery, and take-away were all flawless. Delivery was scheduled with a four-hour window and it all happened according to expectations.

And we've been very pleased with the machine, too.

May your acquisition experience be as pleasing unto thee. :dancin:

And let me just anticipate Reginald posting GE's recent recall of the front load washers. (He loves to do that :smokin: ). But I would point out that was the model year before ours.

And let me just anticipate Reginald posting GE's recent recall of the front load washers. (He loves to do that :smokin: ).

already had checked after your first post ... :whistling:

http://appliantology...-injury-hazard/

Gasp. Samurai. I have to collect myself. A GE? I'm reeling from this assault on the foundation of my fledgling appliantology belief system.

As for me, taking a cue from you guys, I rented a U-Haul and answered my first-ever Craigslist ad today.

Here's what I learned. (It's going to sound made up, but I think it's actually true):

Once upon a time, a couple bought a new house that came with an unused, top-load Whirlpool washer and matching dryer. But the couple already a front-loader set, so they didn't even unwrap the plastic. The Whirlpool W&D sat, ignored, in their garage. Eventually the Whirlpool W&D sold to a friend. He used them for only a few MONTHS before illness struck and he decided to sell belongings and join family in Asia. Enter Craigslist.

Introducing the latest members of my household: DIRECT-DRIVE Whirlpool "Commercial Quality Extra Large Capacity" washer LXR7244PQ4 and dryer LER4634PQ1.

I looked up the parts diagram and said, "I recognize this washer."

A teeny dent. Otherwise immaculate. "Shiny and new." Not a spot of rust. No funky noises.

What I paid for the pair: $375.

post-33921-0-86875200-1350359093_thumb.j

Maytag Bravos MVWB750Y c.2011 ... is a "direct drive", but not the usual direct drive

(I'm not sure of their repair history)

Whirlpool LXR7244PQ c.2003 is a "regular" direct drive

Yeah I should have specified that it is the newer style non-gearcase direct drive. By the time I started seeing WHPL washers the old (super-reliable) style were on the way out. I've learned the terminology from newer FL machines like LGs.

I have on older direct drive that I will keep running as long as I can. I bought it used for $75 a few years back and have never turned a screw on it. I actually like the design enough to have a entire spare machine in the garage.