Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Nothing but sound, not even any fury!

Pippi

We have a Sealed Combustion Downflow Gas Furnace. When we turn up the thermostat the furnace kickes on then there is a bit of background sound and then it clicks off with no heating going on or fan running. When we check the spot where there are blinking lights that indicate a code for diagnostics we have 3 flashes which is defined as Centrifugal Switch Stuck Open. What now??? I am a registerd Grasshopper can I do this repair? Have repaired washer and dryer several times with assistance from this site but not sure if this is beyond my novis capibilities!

Make: Coleman Evcon

Model: DGAT070BDD

Serial#: 960116289

Pippi

Edited by Pippi

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pippi

• jb8103

• RegUS_PatOff

• Budget Appliance Repair

The sound is a hum like the furnace is trying to kick in, the same sound it has when it runs properly. But it makes this humming sound for less than a minute and then there is a click and it shuts off. At this same time you can check the indictor light and it is flashing 3 times which as I stated inticates that the "Centrifugal Switch is Stuck Open".

Make: Coleman

Model: DGAT070BDD

Serial#: 960116289

The furnace is biege in color.

Edited by Pippi

... 3 flashes which is defined as Centrifugal Switch Stuck Open

where did you get that info ?

The info is printed on a metal box that sits in our furnace interior, it is for trouble shooting any function issues. (Propane furnace)

Edited by Pippi

Yes we had that repaired 2 years ago.

(Oops!) And you are right I was reading the list on the user manual and just thought they were the same.

"Combustion Air switch failed to close!"

Edited by Pippi

"Combustion Air switch failed to close!"

that's better..

Does the Combustion Blower run ?

There should be small rubber tubing connecting to the Air (pressure) Switch

I am not sure what the combustion blower is and the air pressure switch as well. (I will do some investigating) but if I switch the heat - off - air to off and back on then bump the temp up to 75 - or higher it will cycle through and then kick on. We have had the thermostat tested and replaced the battery etc and still the lack of it starting when it is cold. Occationally it will kick on so to us it is a mystery! Have a call in for the repair fellow but that has been 3 days now and so we are manually adjusting the heat switch when we wake up and it is really cold.

If your tech is making you wait three days you need another tech.

The combustion blower, which Coleman calls a booster assembly and is known to rest of the world as a draft inducer, is a small fan mounted to the front of the furnace. You should hear it start as soon as the thermostat calls for heat. It will run for 30 seconds or more before anything else happens. During this time the furnace control checks the status of a pressure switch which is connected to the inducer housing by a 1/4" tube. If the switch is still open, the control assumes there is no draft being induced and shuts down the system. That's the quick and dirty rundown.

Your problem is:

A. bad inducer

B. bad pressure switch

C. bad thermostat

Since I'm not standing there, listening and smelling, unable to truly grok, I'm going for B. bad pressure switch.

Edited by jb8103

intermittent inducer issues can also be:

d: crap built up in port for hose connection

or e: squirrel, bird nest, wasp nest, etc. in flue pipe. (lots of these at beginning of heating season)

interesting note: we found a wood duck jammed in a pvc flue pipe this year. he made it clear to the inducer, and his bill was hitting the fan cage.

Edited by Bullstok

3 flashes which is defined as Centrifugal Switch Stuck Open

If this was the actual terminology that was used on the error code list then there is a high possibility there isn't a pressure switch on this unit. I'm not sure if it's Coleman, but I know I have ran across at least one of these that actually has a centrifugal switch in the end bell of the inducer motor and it takes the place of the pressure switch, (probably not something that was used a lot since that would not really let you know if there is a draft or not, just that the motor was running and there should be a draft if the flue isn't plugged).

intermittent inducer issues can also be:

d: crap built up in port for hose connection

So true. Carrier has this condensate collection box that clogs solid with accretion, and that reports a pressure switch error.

If this was the actual terminology that was used on the error code list then there is a high possibility there isn't a pressure switch on this unit.

The user manual says one thing and the furnace data plate says another. You're shocked, I know.

Truly, I can't find any pressure switch on the PartsDirect parts list.

Gotta be there. If it was a bad inducer you'd hear it or smell it.

The user manual says one thing and the furnace data plate says another. You're shocked, I know.

Truly, I can't find any pressure switch on the PartsDirect parts list.

Gotta be there. If it was a bad inducer you'd hear it or smell it.

I've seen the inducer break at the hub, or come loose from the motor shaft, so the motor runs but doesn't induce a draft, and they won't even try to light then