Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Patricio

Frigidaire stack washer FEX831CS0

30 posts in this topic

This washer has been roaring in spin cycle. Customer says unit started smoking & quit running. Examines unit belt has been burning. transmission has clunk in it when I rotate it. How does this tranny work? Put unit in spin cycle without water, motor turns but very loud roar comes from unit somewhere. Sounds like bearing shot. Not sure how to dismantle. Can I just replace bearing or do I have to install new transmission?

All replies greatly appreciated. Also are there any posts describing how to disassemble tranny & basket? Is it worth repairing?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Ouch! sounds like the main tub bearing is shot. It will be a major teardown to replace the tub bearing and seal and a major pain in the neck because it has the dryer stacked on it. I would charge $350-$400 for this job.

http://www.emaservicetips.com/pdfs/488_3.pdf

This link, 27in Laundry Centers Gas and Electric (5995381885), is broke. Can it be fixed? I am going to give this thing a whirl, if not for the experience. Customer is willing to pay $400, before I posted topic. can probly get more after I explain the process involved (already did to some extent. If I can replace bearing parts & seals rather than Than complete transmission (cost $300) I would make most of the labor. Any more info is very appreciated. As usual want all my ducks lined up before scheduling. :thanks:

just be sure that the roaring sound isnt the bottom bearing on the tranny, the tub bearing wont make a roaring sound but when the seal leaks water gets into the bottom bearing and you can only get that with the tranny

Actually the bottom bearing is the one I think that is roaring when I was examining the machine. I won't be able until sometime to get back to unit until sometime next week. Really want to replace the defective bearing, seals, & belt not the whole transmission.

Edited by Patricio

bottom bearing and you can only get that with the tranny

Good chance that if the bottom bearing is roaring it is also not locking correctly, that is a one-way clutching bearing/only turns in one direction.

Quick test, try to spin the basket by hand, it should lock up solid in one direction and spin freely and quietly in the other.

If it spins in both directions and also could get a crunching noise then the lower one-way clutch bearing is bad and you will need to replace the complete transmission, a new transmission doesn't come with a new upper tub bushing or the main seal which will also need to be replaced. The transmission, (part# 134735700), alone is going to be around $200-$250 wholesale before any markup, cheapest I found was around $195 for a rebuilt.

I did an E-bay search for the transmission and came up with a part# 134780500 that appears to be the lower one-way bearing which isn't listed on any of the part break downs for these machines. You would have to press the old bearing off and new one back on, I've never attempted this and don't know how successful that would be.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Does the lower bearing press out easy or do I need a bearing puller?

Thanks Samurai, you just answered one of my questions as to why so many of the bearings and seals fail. MADE IN CHINA.

Does the lower bearing press out easy or do I need a bearing puller?

You will definitely need to use a puller or press to remove and install, you don't really want to beat on it to remove/install it or you could damage other parts of the transmission.

I am going to do the job, quoted $450. Will be a learning experiance but I have no reservations about the my ability to complete the repair. I told the customer about the job being a six pack difficulty. He will have 12 pack Dos Equis on ice. Good thing the customer only lives a mile from the house.

One more question...the one-way bearing. I take it that it goes one one way only & only turns one-way. Ordering the parts from RC in the morning.

Yes, the bearing only allows the tub to move counterclockwise.

I am going to do the job, quoted $450. Will be a learning experiance but I have no reservations about the my ability to complete the repair. I told the customer about the job being a six pack difficulty. He will have 12 pack Dos Equis on ice. Good thing the customer only lives a mile from the house.

These are great learning experiences! Be sure to take pictures or, better yet, make a video and upload it to YouTube so your Brethren in the Craft and partake of your journey with you. :)

That will definitely be a good one to have a video of. I can only remember of one other time I've heard of anyone trying to replace just that lower bearing somewhere in these here forums.

Especially would be interesting to see the actually process of pressing the bearings on/off and what you set up to do that so as not to be pressing the input/output shafts of the transmission, (will probably have to get a metal pipe the correct diameter and length to go down over the complete upper shaft).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

I'll figgure something out, Have the ability to figure things out given the time. Probbly going to take the dryer off then bring the unit to the house to do the job. My wife has a camera, never used the video, & someone will have to tell me how to post a video, thank you.

I can only remember of one other time I've heard of anyone trying to replace just that lower bearing somewhere in these here forums.

Was probably me - we tried to do that once, also decided to never try it again - was the old style bearing that had the external slinky spring and rubber boot. Was a long time ago so the memory is faint, you need to completely remove the transmission so you can clamp it in a vice upside down to work on it. i recall the bearing has an e-clip to remove and we chiselled the old bearing off (didn't care if we damaged the bearing) to install the new one we sanded up the mounting area on lower trans housing and sprayed it liberally with freon (different times) to cause a bit of "shrinkage" before installing the new one. A video or pictorial of this process would be great to see !

Note that you should also replace the upper tub bearing and seal at the same time.

If this is a newer style unit with the sealed bearing assembly, I'm not so sure you can pull that lower block from the bottom at least without some level of destruction - The block is pressed on with a plastic sleeve reminiscant of the GM U-joints. If you are able to pull this off, the upper dryer unit will likely require some service at the same time since they are the same age.

Lower trans block sleeve:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Spacer/131784400/890097?modelNumber=FEX831CS0

Spacer-131784400-00818765.jpg

Dryer Maintainence Kit:  http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Maintenance-Kit/5304461262/1261075

Maintenance-Kit-5304461262-00751029.jpg

Frigidaire called that the "LGS" spring. Lock, Grab and Spin. OMG, I'm dating myself. I used to work for Frigidaire back in the day when they called it WCI Consumer Services. I'm getting old.

Trying to scare me. If they sell a replacement bearing it has to come off some how & by the picture it does not look to difficult. I'll find out. Would never know if I don't try. What do I have to lose, $100 plus in cash & some time. Parts are on the way, Ain't backing out of it. If it does not work out, the complete transmission with lower bearing is less than $300, I'll have a completed repair that will make the customer happy & I am out my time but not any cash. Learning experience is priceless in my opinion.

As far as the dryer goes, if I could not repair the washer he was going to use the dryer separately any way.