Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
scatr

Fix venting fan for GE Microwave JVM250AV001

4 posts in this topic

Hi - I have a GE Spacemaker microwave mounted over the range, model JVM250AV001, made in May 1995. The vent fan vents to the outside of the house, or at least it used to until the fan started making a really awful noise a couple years ago. We figured there was either a physical obstruction in there, or the fan motor had gone bad. It's a bear to take off the wall, so it was a call to the repair place. They told us the fan part is no longer made. So, it's either a service call to hopefully clear an obstruction, or put it back up on the wall since nothing can be done about it. Not worth the money, so as a result, we haven't used the vent fan in about 2 years.

Recently I ran across some models much like this one in a local Habitat for Humanity ReStore shop, which I could pick up for cheap, and pilfer them for parts to repair the one in my house. My question is whether or not this is a good idea. I am reasonably handy but I need some good guidance before I try this out. One of the things I've read is that microwaves can be dangerous due to storing power even when disconnected. So, before I got into this on my own, or even possibly calling a local repair place to see if they'd be up for it, I figured I'd get some input here first. Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... I could pick up for cheap, and pilfer them for parts to repair the one in my house.

WB26X167

Fan NLA at RepairClinic

some of the GE

JVM2x

JVM3x

JVM4x

JVM5x

JVM6x

series use the same Fan

OR eBay has a new one for about $ 150

looking at the photo on e bay of the motor you have , this is not the common motor that i have seen in most Ge microwaves

so be careful when buying a used micro for parts , it may not contain the motor you need

as far as ease of changeing the motor , should be no problem . but i must say , i cant think of a single one of these motor i have ever changed , these just don't go bad

the micro gives up long before there is ever a problem with a worn out motor

Any danger from shock will come from parts on the right side of the micro , just keep your hands out of there and you will be fine , even if you need to remove the cover , just keep you hands/tools clear of the parts on the right

your motor is in the center/rear of the top , it may come out with a few screws without removing anything else and then just unplugs

Guys, thanks for the info - I'll be checking this out. Since you said these rarely (never?) fail, maybe there actually is something in there that's obstructing the fan.