Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jkirksey1889

Kenmore 417.48102701

9 posts in this topic

This is my personal washer of all things. Found it shutting off and on. Figured out that the door was unlocking for no reason and the led's would go out at the exact same time. However, without me even touching it, it would lock itself back and start up where it left off. As I kept playing with it, I found that it didn't matter where in the cycle it was, at any time the door could unlock and the led's go out. It spins, drains, water valves are good, it works perfectly until the door unlocks. In fact it had just started the load it's on now and for some reason it's about finished. It has just about made it through the entire cycle, finally. It cut off a few times, locked itself back, and continued.

Control panel or door lock?

What's your best guess? The door is locking when it's supposed to, so the test is useless. However it's either unlocking itself or the control board is telling it to unlock. My guess is the door lock.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Loose electrical receptacle, or a timer that has been damaged by the tub going off balance.

OK just looked it up, has no timer, but a wire plug/connector could be loose/damaged as well

Loose electrical receptacle, or a timer that has been damaged by the tub going off balance.

OK just looked it up, has no timer, but a wire plug/connector could be loose/damaged as well

I'm just gonna have to tear it down tomorrow. Thanks.

Don't need to tear anything to check electric outlet ...............

Reminds me of the time I had a customer who was using a very light duty extension cord made only for lights for her washing machine and the cord almost caught on fire and the machine cut out a few times.

Don't need to tear anything to check electric outlet ...............

Oh, well that was ruled out by default. I've moved into a new home and personally replaced the outlet just a couple of weeks ago. And before any lights go off (no pun intended) I've been an electrician close to 20 years. :thumbsup:

I think you may be right about a loose connector though. If I find no loose connections, would you say it's more likely the lock or the board?

Thanks again for all of the insight.

Did this problem coincide with your move? Did it work OK before the move?

If all was OK before the move I would concentrate on loose connections on the lock and the control board caused by jarring from the move.

Did this problem coincide with your move? Did it work OK before the move?

If all was OK before the move I would concentrate on loose connections on the lock and the control board caused by jarring from the move.

Well it has worked fine for about 2 weeks after it was moved. I was really wondering if anyone thought it might be a position sensor. I did not install shipping bolts when it was moved.

No position sensor in there - since the control lights are shutting off, that would indicate the power supply wiring is at fault. Remove the top and run the machine - wiggle the wiring and connectors to see if you can narrow it down. Don't dismiss the receptacle, easy enough to wiggle the cord and see if it recreates the issue. Shipping bolts are used to keep the drum from moving around and causing such issues during handling - you are about to expend at least double the amount of time fixing the problem than you saved by not installing them.