Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Microwave was dead this a.m.

dweezel1

I have a GE Microwave Model number JVM1740SM1SS, which has provided nice service for about 2-1/2 years.

This morning, when I went to heat up my coffee, the thing was dead. Dead. No light upon opening the door, nothing on the display. Dead. Must be a tripped circuit breaker! Nope.

Maybe there is an internal automatically resetting circuit breaker! I unplugged the plug, waited for 5 minutes, and plugged it back in. Voila! Oh, wrong--no light, display, etc., still.

Maybe there is something wrong with the receptacle itself. So I got my handy little Babycakes Cake Pop Maker and plugged it into the receptacle. Yikes! This thing heats up really quick! So there is juice getting to the microwave.

I looked at the user manual, and there is not much to offer other than to unplug and replug the appliance, which I already did. Shoot--try it again. No joy.

Any suggestions? If we have to call for service, it may make more sense to buy a new one. Bummer.

Thanks

Dweezel

there is a fuse inside , it's not easy to get to ,but it's most likely your problem

BUT

Why did the fuse blow in the first place ?

GE has real problems with microwaves in general , keyboard , motherboard , magntron . all GE favorites

I myself would not have a GE over the range microwave in my house , i have see one self program 66 mins 66 seconds and turn on without a human touch , think about that the next time you leave the house

• Like 2

Bearded one--

Thanks. I'll pass the information on to my son-in-law, the owner of the subject microwave. We're here doing duty as grandparental house/children watchers, and I'll just substitute some bourbon for the reheated coffee. I'm not about to try to remove the appliance from where it's mounted.

Our first microwave (around 1980) was a GE countertop, and it quit immediately following a thunderstorm, 3 months after purchase. Apparently the service people were inundated with calls, because the local GE repair shop (they had them then!) told me I would get it back quicker if I took it to them. While I waited, they replaced whatever blew. That microwave, after the single repair, lasted about 20 years. About 3 years ago, we updated our kitchen, and we got a GE range and over the range microwave. So far, no trouble. If it starts acting bewitched, I'll replace it with another brand. I've been impressed with LG. What's your opinion of them?

Best

Dweezel

• Like 1

If the Microwave is completely dead I would suspect a fuse as well. Most commonly the fuse blows when there is a problem with one of the (3) door microswitches. It is a fairly easy and common repair on these microwaves.

• Like 3

So, Falconer--is that a falcon chick? Kewl.

I will pass along to my son-in-law that he should give it a shot to replace the fuse. He doesn't have the incredible skill that you and I have in replacing the door microswitches, but the fuse, maybe.

Thanks

Dweezel

the problem with over the range microwaves most often comes from a kitchen where the cabinet over the stove was made for a range hood .

so the short range hood is removed for the "upgrade" and a microwave installed , the clearance from the burners to the bottom of the micro is just to little

there is just to much heat and moisture that get up into the controls , add a little grease and you have a recipe for failure

please don't get me wrong , i used to love GE . my grandad opened a GE TV and Appliance showroom in 1956. I closed and sold it in 1980 to make way for a pizza hut

The GE appliances i (and you ) grew up with are no more , i look at this new stuff and can't believe my eyes

• Like 3

I will need some advice for my son-in-law. If he is unable or disinclined to replace the fuse, does it make sense for him to get a repairman to fix it, or is the model so unreliable as to make spending that money most likely a waste.

The exhaust fan, which vents to the outside, is 20 inches above the gas burners of the range. My interpretation of Cactus Bob's remarks is that the fan should always be running whenever the burners are lit.

And finally, if they do have to get another microwave, is there a brand/model which is more reliable in this location? There isn't sufficient room in the kitchen for a countertop microwave, and I can't imagine getting along without one.

Thanks

Dweezel

ALL microwave ovens built today are JUNK because they are all made in China, Korea or Mexico and made as cheap as possible, If you want a GOOD microwave that will last a good long time, try to find a used one from the 1980s.

Good luck if you buy an LG, which is a Korean based company which I really don't care for to begin with.

I personally refuse to buy an over the range microwave oven, I like my countertop microwave oven. Mine is a Whirlpool microwave which is already 6 years old and it has never seen a repair yet. When and if it bites the dust, I will replace it with another Whirlpool countertop microwave oven.

Scott--Thanks for the info. As I mentioned, they just don't have enough space for a countertop. Interesting, but my first (GE) microwave was purchased in 1981, and except for a single incident which occurred while under warranty, it performed perfectly for >25 yrs. During at least 15 of those years, it sat on top of a range hood in our kitchen, but it wasn't subjected to grease, etc., coming up from the stovetop.

RoughShod--I'll pass the link along to my son-in-law. If he can manage the repair, I'm getting the idea that it would be better for him to keep the one he has.

Finally, since their countertop is so limited in space, at some point they will have to replace the over-the range-microwave with another like it. It's clearly prudent to get one that isn't too expensive. I've never been big on extended warranties, since they're overpriced.

Best

Dweezel

• 9 months later...

Old thread, I know but for those of you who ended up here from Google there is another part in these GE range hood microwaves that can shut the works down. There is a thermal fuse up above the cavity that often fails.

• Like 2

Dweezel,

By some chance was the last think cooked in it popcorn, or, something else that gets it really hot inside? If so, the thermostat oleteddy speaks of is a very real possibility.

Edited by tpoindexter