Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Double Oven Microwave not heating

Blue Frog

Hi all, I wanted to run this by some of you experts since my knowledge of microwaves is limited.  I have a double oven microwave that runs fine but no heat.  I removed the microwave unit from the oven and brought to shop for diagnose.  So far I have checked all fuses and the capacitor and they check fine.

Tested diode and it drops to 6V on a 9volt battery and reads mV when reversed. 

I tested the magnetron terminals and they both had resistance of less than 1 ohm, also checked from terminal to mag body and showed infinity.  It looks as though the magnetron is ok.  Is this a foolproof test?

I didn't really know how to test the transformer and I can't power the unit on without it installed in the double oven.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Nick

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Frog

• RegUS_PatOff

• Cactus Bob

• jumptrout

Top Posters In This Topic

The ohms test is no way to test a magntron , all your testing is the filament , and most bad magntrons have good filaments 

i always thought the ohms test was stupid , but i guess it's the only way to test the thing

my rule of thumb : check everything else , if it's all good and you still have no heat , replace the magntron . i have been right 100% of the time

I am lucky , i have a bunch of used "test" magntrons , to just switch it out and see what happens

just so you know , magntrons are all wired the same inside , as long as you can mount the mag even if it's just 2 screws , you can use it to test for heat .  just use your head and be sure to mount it with a good seal and don't leave an incorrect one on for more that a few mins while testing

Thanks for the reply!  

Yes original problem was no heat, and I the ceramic and thermal fuses check out ok.

• Team Samurai

The ohms test is no way to test a magntron , all your testing is the filament , and most bad magntrons have good filaments 

Check out the Willie Method™ for testing a magnetron ==> http://appliantology.org/blog/1/entry-236-the-willie-method%E2%84%A2-for-testing-a-microwave-oven-magnetron-tube/

Why can't you make a test cord to power the M/W?

No model number here, but a test cord to the primary side of x-fmr to by-pass door switches, relays, etc...  and if your diode and cap check out OK, narrows it down to the mag if no heat.