Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Eliot Ness

Whirlpool Dryer with Odd Start Problem

9 posts in this topic

The culprit is a Whirlpool WED5700SW0 "no frills" dryer. The wife reported that the dryer did not start when she hit the start button, but about a 1/2 hour later she heard it start. It has done the delayed start at least 3 or 4 times so far.

Since last night it's not really an "odd" problem since it hasn't started since.  I checked all the easy stuff like power, start switch, door switch, thermal fuse and cut-outs, so that leaves me with the timer, but I’m getting lost with all of the contacts on it. Thanks for any advice you guys might be able to offer!

EDIT:  I just found that the T & W contacts are not closing on the timer.  If I jumper them the dryer works; I guess I'll order a new timer.

Edited by Eliot Ness

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

> When the dryer does not start the timer does not advance ...

Is this in Auto-Dry mode

OR Timed Dry mode ?

OR both ?

> When the dryer does not start the timer does not advance ...

Is this in Auto-Dry mode

OR Timed Dry mode ?

OR both ?

Both.  I edited my post to say I just found that the T & W contacts are not closing on the timer.  If I jumper them the dryer works; I guess I'll order a new timer. 

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Eliot Ness

I can't seem to access the diagram at the moment, but in some cases, the T-W contact is cycled during the "wrinkle guard" portion of the program so that the motor will start and tumble a bit every few minutes.

Is the timer closing BK-BU ??

Any chance the centre of the knob is stripped out giving the illusion you are on the cycle when you're not ??

One of the "frills" it appears to have is a wrinkle guard switch.

01277710.jpg

T-W is used for everything except "end-of-cycle" and guard,

At which time the contact becomes "intermittent", thereby causing the motor to start up and tumble every few minutes

Just install a fixed jumper wire, you will not have  the 'wrinkle guard' option but you will not need to but a timer...........OR...  in the wire diagram the 'wrinkle guard' is a separate switch, p/n 3405157  just wired to the timer.