Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
PKRWUD

Kenmore Gas Dryer 11087581110 Heating Issue

30 posts in this topic

Also, one more footnote; today I tested the old coils that I replaced for continuity, and there was none with either coil. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought I would mention it.

Put your meter on the k-ohms scale-- the normal resistance of these coils are k-ohm range.  

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Put your meter on the k-ohms scale-- the normal resistance of these coils are k-ohm range.  

The secondary coil measured 1.246 k ohms. The holding and boosting coil has three prongs. Measurements were 1.373 k ohms between the first two prongs, .560 k ohms between the first and third prongs, and 1.934 k ohms between the second and third prongs.

My guess is that you had a venting issue until you disconnected it (kink/partial block etc)

Keep in mind that the coils usually fail gradually over time. When they heat up, the windings open up, once the coil cools down, it "heals" itself and tests out fine static. My 30 some years have taught me to just replace the damn things regardless, and fageddabouit. I buy my gas coils 20 at a time for cheap money. Part no is MT SCA700-10, (fsp part no)That gives me 10 complete sets, lasting around 9 months or so. I still wouldnt rule out a flaky operating stat. They have been known to fail.

Keep in mind that the coils usually fail gradually over time. When they heat up, the windings open up, once the coil cools down, it "heals" itself and tests out fine static. My 30 some years have taught me to just replace the damn things regardless, and fageddabouit. I buy my gas coils 20 at a time for cheap money. Part no is MT SCA700-10, (fsp part no)That gives me 10 complete sets, lasting around 9 months or so. I still wouldnt rule out a flaky operating stat. They have been known to fail.

Greetings,

I wanted to give you guys an update. I decided I wanted to test the coils, so what I did was hook up my DMM to the secondary coil, set to k-ohms. At room temperature (in the garage) it was 66º F, and the DMM read 1.246 k-ohms. Then I grabbed a hairdryer, set it on warm/low, and while I had my infrared thermometer pointed at the coil, turned on the dryer and watched the DMM. Sure enough, when the temp got to 78º F, the DMM read infinite resistance. When it cooled a couple of degrees, it went back to 1.246 k-ohms. This tells me that in fact that coil was bad.

Just wanted to share.

Take care,

~Chris

Gas valve coil set ==> http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Gas-Valve-Solenoid/279834/3479?modelNumber=110.87581110

Gas-Valve-Solenoid-279834-00928758.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Added part link to gas valve coil set.