Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ace Barker

KitchenAid KUDE60HXSS0 won't drain

9 posts in this topic

I hope all had a wonderful Christmas.

The Dishwasher stopped pumping Christmas Eve. I check the easy things. Kinks in line. drain hose plugged and all were fine. I do not drain into a disposal as I am on a septic tank and don't have that. The drain runs through the floor into the drain lines. It has it's own trap and all. All are clear. I searched for any things to check but don't seem to find this model. I do see a pump replacement and maybe it has just gone bad after two years.

It washes fine and everything seems in working order. Selecting the Cancel/Drain does not work and I don't hear the motor at all.

Not sure where to go other than buy a motor and replace. Does something else fail on these units?

Thanks

Ace...

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I noticed an odd smell coming in and checked the dishwasher thinking plastic melted or something. Nothing odd in the tub except I noticed the water had not drained and the unit had finished it's cycle.  I will pull the over off and see if any of the boards are burned.

I hope this isn't going the way of my old Maytag Neptune. I fixed it once and after it ran for a few more years had to junk it.

Ace...

Thanks Reg

I have a meter. I assume I can turn on cancel drain and measure? Would you be able to tell me the terminals to check please?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Ace...

the (2) Brown wires going into the Pump (while connected)

the (2) Brown wires going into the Pump (while connected)

Thanks Reg. will give it a shot.

Ace...

Anytime I have a dishwasher with a drainage problem I want to look at the drain hose and make sure it's highest point is lower than where it will eventually drain to.  That's one of the most common problems I see.

Before I take the machine apart too far, I also like to detach the drain hose from its drain point, put it in a bucket and turn on the drain cycle.  For instance, if you see a steady trickle of water, and that water is greasy, you probably have a drain blockage.  If you hear a hum and see no water at all, you may very well have a seized drain pump.  I have succeeded more than once in getting a unit back into service by running a long length of 1/4 plastic water line up the drain hose and loosening the blockage.

That's a great idea Dan

Thanks for all the information. With holiday company I haven't pulled out the dishwasher for obvious reasons. ;-)

With that said, I manually drained the washer, pulled of the front panel and selected the drain button. I could feel the pump "hum" so it is getting power. Then I started to smell a strong odor. Not burning but strong plastic odor not and electrical wire burning. I felt the metal fins and they were very hot. This is the strong odor from a week ago.

My dishwasher drains into the plumbing through the floor into the basement so it already has gravity on it side and doesn't pump up. I removed it from its connection and water drained on its own but not the unit.

I am a good plug and play guy but diagnosing what is causing this is not my forte. I am comfortable pulling out the unit and replacing a pump. I's just one of those deals where do you replace that part and it's really something else. Logically it's that pump.

I saw where repair clinic that Reg recommended sells the pump but out of stock for a bit. Maybe this is a common failure. Drain Pump W10158351

I meant to update on the repair of the dishwasher. I bought a new pump, pulled the dishwasher out and remove the pump the week after Christmas. I found piece of glass had lodged in the impeller and housing. I removed and saved he old pump and replaced with the new. I felt the old pump would still work but may not last as I did smell a plastic/electrical odor. Anyway the washer is back running and all is well.

Thanks

Ace...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0