Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
gayle2c

Whirlpool LSW9245EQ agitator - basket misalignment

6 posts in this topic

My laundry is being shredded.  Not the dryer - the latest victims are table linens that have only gone through a soak and a wash cycle. 

There is an uneven gap between the bottom of the agitator and the inner basket.  Looking from the front of the washer, I have a 3/8" gap at 9:00 and a 3/4" gap at 3:00. 

When I remove the agitator, rotate it, and replace it onto the agitator shaft, the larger 3/4" gap remains at 3:00.

The washer agitates and spins as it should.  No alarming noises or leaks. 

Tho it seemed to me that it was an alignment problem, I started on the inside of the basket first.  The bottom of the agitator isn't warped; when I remove it, it's level and circular.  I've cleaned all the soap deposits on the agitator shaft and inner basket.  The 4 "buttons" on the shaft move freely in and out.

Once I remove the cabinet, where do I start looking? 

Thanks. 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Get more info here and pay close attention to the drive block

Thank you both.  I'm traveling and will try this when I get back.

So...I replaced the drive block, and replaced the agitator dogs while I was at it.  Still out of alignment - same gap, same place. 

But, I noticed that there was quite a bit of rust on one side of the agitator shaft.  I sanded it down, and the problem was fixed, albeit temporarily.  I know the agitator shaft and I guess the complete gearcase will need to be replaced next.  Hubby says no - get a new washer.  I say we'll see.  There's nothing on the market that I really want. 

Thanks.

FIX IT! This washer will still outlast any of the new washers on the market today.