Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

kenmore 153.32053 Electric Heater not enough hot water

Marcplante

We have had a Kenmore electric hot water heater for about 8 yrs.  I have replaced both thermostats, but not done anything with the coils.  This afternoon my called to tell me that both kids ran out of their showers complaining of no not water (They're 5 and 7 so not taking the typical teenage showers yet,

It's a 50 gal heater, and we usually give them both baths, so I don't know that water volume should be an issue.  

When I came home and checked the hot water this evening, It was fine.  I was thinking that it needed thermostats again, but now that the water is hot again, I'm wondering.  

Is there any realistic cause of temporary hot water shortage? single coil going bad?

I checked the breaker reset button on the upper thermostat and it did not click when I pressed it, nor I hear any obvious churning that usually accompanies coils jumping to life, though there is hot water in the tank. 

Thanks,

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RegUS_PatOff

• Cactus Bob

• Marcplante

• certified tech group 51

one of the Heater Elements could be bad

(could be tested with an OHM meter without removing)

one Element would take twice as long to heat the water.

OR the "sacificial anode" (dip tube) may be eroded away ..

(incoming cold water doesn't go to the bottom of the tank..

stays near the top of the tank and goes straight to the "hot" water output.)

the "sacificial anode" (dip tube) may be eroded away ..

(incoming cold water doesn't go to the bottom of the tank..

stays near the top of the tank and goes straight to the "hot" water output.)

the anode and dip tube are not the same thing

the anode rod is a solid rod that runs down through the water from the top ,

the dip tube is a hollow tube that goes from the water input down through the water to the bottom of the tank , most of the time made of plastic and never goes bad

all that said , i have no clue what is wrong here .

might have a sticky thermostat ?

a slighty shorted to ground element (through the water) ?

a ohm meter and a clamp on amp meter should get to the bottom of it

... the anode and dip tube are not the same thing

I believe on some brands, they are

it must be something new , i have cut up my share of water heater tanks over the years and never seen an anode dip tube combo in my life

there's always a first

i saw my first plastic water heater only 6 months ago , what a weird thing that is

I'll check the coils with an ohm meter.  Might be a sticky thermostat, but last time it manifested itself in a pretty decisive failure.  Thanks for the insights

• 2 weeks later...

Check bottom element, it ends up operating  more than the top element...... ( not by design )............