Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
rolandvz71

Maytag washer MAV7700AWW transmission threads messed up

12 posts in this topic

OK I found this washer and the tub bearing was shot. The seal nut broke then 3 of the 4 screws broke on the basket hub assembly. Tried to removed the basket hub assembly but was a booger to turn soooooo here I go grinding it off and well you guessed it I messed up some threads......now I have found this tool on line

http://www.deyparts.net/product/maytag_tube_thread_chaser_14922/474247

http://www.allappliancetools.com/proddetail.asp?prod=14922

Why are they calling it a "Maytag Tube Thread Chaser" when it says...... "Designed to re-thread basket drive tube before reassembly on all model washers except Maytag"

Is that a type-O?

The tranny is good but the 4 starting threads on the tranny are a little shot......if this tool can help  me someone plz let me know.

To me---- it seems like it would work, but I want to know for sure before moving forward....and if this does not work----- does anyone know what die I would need to re-cut these threads?

Thx!

post-52397-0-97549800-1359599416_thumb.j

Edited by rolandvz71

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You're either brave or work for an insurance. LOL

I have not done this since i quit AHS. 

Most customers wont pay the price, such a piece of junk.

LOL I remember grinding away , sparks flying, dust LOL

You're either brave or work for an insurance. LOL

I have not done this since i quit AHS. 

Most customers wont pay the price, such a piece of junk.

LOL I remember grinding away , sparks flying, dust LOL

Call me brave....no insurance work here-----I sometimes do work for people I know who can not afford new appliances so my labor is free....not looking for a laugh but a solution

Thanks!

Edited by rolandvz71

Why would it not work? I'd spend the $20 before I ate the cost of a new tranny.

That tool looks like it would do the job, the other  way is to order an extra basket drive block and try to fix the threads with a file or a small dremmel tool.

Edited by Comstock_Services

Why would it not work? I'd spend the $20 before I ate the cost of a new tranny.

That tool looks like it would do the job, the other  way is to order an extra basket drive block and try to fix the threads with a file or a small dremmel tool.

I have a new seal kit.....the new drive block will not screw in by

hand w/out stopping 1/2 a round into the threads.....I have tried a

small file no luck. No Dremmel tool to work with.....I will keep on it!

Thanks for the input!

Sorry my ADD kicked in If you had an extra drive block you could use it to fix the threads on the transmission by forcing it in place, the block is aluminum, the tranny is steel cased, so you would mess up the threads in the extra drive block, it would be ok, as long as it fixed the threads on the tranny before cross threading the drive block. Hope this is coming across more clearly than my last post. I still think that that tool would work, as log as it wasnt for one of those amana spped queen clones.

It will work. It is just a die(as in tap and die)(harder and sharper than the shaft). Carefully start the thread chaser with some oil and make sure it aligns properly at the start of the threads. Take it down a couple of threads back it off and repeat until the threads are clean and straight. There are also thread files you can buy, but you must know your thread pitch and threads per inch. You could try a triangle file. I'd be real careful with a dremel tool. Good luck.

It will work. It is just a die(as in tap and die)(harder and sharper than the shaft). Carefully start the thread chaser with some oil and make sure it aligns properly at the start of the threads. Take it down a couple of threads back it off and repeat until the threads are clean and straight. There are also thread files you can buy, but you must know your thread pitch and threads per inch. You could try a triangle file. I'd be real careful with a dremel tool. Good luck.

OK will do.....I will see about getting the tool ordered today!

Thx all !

A kit of die files is always good to have there are   8 different types per file , the 2 i have cover all threads but have them for over 20 years don't remember where i got them.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6428887505P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-224791884-2

also tool supply stores?

And I am sorry for 1st post , did not meant to make fun of you.  But I use to do these jobs all the time still have bad taste in my mouth.

A kit of die files is always good to have there are   8 different types per file , the 2 i have cover all threads but have them for over 20 years don't remember where i got them.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6428887505P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-224791884-2

also tool supply stores?

And I am sorry for 1st post , did not meant to make fun of you.  But I use to do these jobs all the time still have bad taste in my mouth.

Tell me about! The dust in the air made me to buy some dust masks....I am sure that stuff is not good for the lungs!

Thx for the input about the tools

No problem about the misunderstanding...

Edited by rolandvz71

tool is on order....mean while I will try the file trick....

sorry for the delay.....tool worked like it should! Another addition to my toolbox!