Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garpy

Capacitor for WBSE5290A0WW ?

4 posts in this topic

This is a wire in question to "fix" a GE washer motor.

Ge washer Model WBSE5290A0WW

The replacement motor is way too expensive to fix the "click on low speed" symptom so I was wonering if it's possible to wire in a Start or probably Run capacitor into the circuit.

I tried wireing in a whirlpool washer capacitor into the "white/red" wire which is the low speed power but only burnt out the capacitor.

Anyone have any ideas or is this a waste of time? (possibly beyond the scope of this site maybe)

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The wht/red wire is not low speed select, it is the neutral feed to the motor. Low speed is via the white wire. Your motor is starting just fine so a capacitor isn't going to do anything. The Whirlpool capacitor is for starting only and should not have continuous power applied to it as it will be destroyed. The problem you are having is most likely due to bad contacts in the motor switch. Even when low speed is selected, due to the motor switch, it will start in high speed and as soon as the motor comes up to speed, the centrifugal mechanism will switch it to low speed via the motor switch. The only way to fix it is to take the switch loose and open it up to get to the contacts to see if they can be salvaged, or you can just wire the motor to only operate in high speed.

Eric

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I was pretty sure the start cap wouldn't work but I have a lot of them (used) so it was worth a shot. Odd that the white/red is neutral as it was the only one with 110v when switched on on slow speed. Maybe In a rush and missed it. Thinking through your description makes sense though. I'll see if I can actually get at the contacts when I get the time. For now I need to set this one aside for other machines.

Anyway. Thanks again.

Edited by Garpy

This motor is not normally serviceable, however, I have repaired them. You must remove the rear cover of the motor to be able to pull the switch away from the motor to get into it. There is no replacement switch or parts for it that I am aware of. If your lucky, just the low speed contacts need cleaning.

Eric

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0