Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wphelps

JCPenney/RCA Microwave Model 5919-00-40

8 posts in this topic

It's old; but I like working on Classics.

Thanks for your assistance,

William

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

what part of this micro are you having a problem with ?

Edited by Cactus Bob

what part of this micro are you having a problem with ?

Temperature control / probe calibration.

how far off is it ?

I would say 40 degrees.

49f is not that bad , for a micro temp probe , those things where never all that great in the first place

if there is an adjustment ,

on older ones there was a small sub board mounted below the main board , there would be a "pot "adjustment there , move it a little each way and see what happens

newer ones the adjustment pot is on the mother board , it is the only adjustment there , move a little to adj.

newest ones (1990 and above) have no adjustment

I have found most temp probes are all the same value , so if it plugs in , it works  . so if nothing else works , try another probe

but ......to be honest i don't think you have as much of a problem as you thing you do , those probes are always sloppy

49f is not that bad , for a micro temp probe , those things where never all that great in the first place

if there is an adjustment ,

on older ones there was a small sub board mounted below the main board , there would be a "pot "adjustment there , move it a little each way and see what happens

Actually, this series had one of the more reliable probes typically +/- 5 degrees.

Thanks for the sub-board hint.  I also found out that these were not the usual RCA by GE devices but rather RCA by Samsung.

I just wanted to close this out by letting everyone know that I was able to get the probe reading within 10 degrees.  Apparently generic probes are about 10 KOhms off from the OEM probes; and that's far enough to make a difference.  But, this kind of calibration would be so much simpler if the manufacturers provided full range displays -- i.e. including 32 degrees and 212 degrees.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0