Learn how to troubleshoot using schematics like a real tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexM

Whirlpool Direct Drive # TAWS850PQ, Transmission Issue?

9 posts in this topic

I thought this might be a simple motor coupling job, it wasn't.  There was a humming noise from the motor and the drain pump was clear and good, the coupling was intact, and when the motor was disconnected from the pump and the coupling it ran fine.  When hooked up the motor couldn't turn the basket, is it that simple that the transmission is bad?  if so, is that likely not worth fixing?  the machine is around 7 years old.  What is the scientific way of checking for a bad tranny?  there was no oil or mess in or on the unit.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... the motor couldn't turn the basket

in neither direction ? (Agitate / Spin)

Can you turn the Washer Coupling in either direction ?

check for something caught between the basket and the outer tub.

Thats a great idea.  Should i just pull off the tub ring in order to look down the sides? or do I need to pull out the basket?

I could only turn the washer coupling one direction, does that mean something?

CCW is agitate, CW is spin. What you really need to do is run it in spin with the cabinet removed and lid switch bypassed. Observe the clutch hub while in spin mode. If it's rotating, the gearcase is ok, but the clutch is slipping or the brake cam driver is broken. A slipping clutch can be caused by clothing between the tubs, a worn clutch or something with the basket drive. If the clutch hub is not rotating during spin mode, it's likely a gearcase issue.

Eric

WhirlpoolClutchHub.jpg

Edited by fairbank56

remove the agittor and make sure the drive block hasn't stripped out, this causes the inner basket to drop down and bind

Your pump could be bad also. Disconnect pump, test then disconnect coupler .

The impeller in the pump freezes.

I've had a locked motor issue from a sock in the pump. Easiest way to test that is disconnect only the pump and try to spin.

If I take out the pump and motor and still can't turn the coupling to make the basket spin by using one finger on each hand, shoving with both hands, I suspect either something jamming the inner basket, a bad transmission or maybe a locked up brake. If the brake lining comes apart sometimes the bits and pieces can get stuck in there.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0