Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
marysimonne

kitchenaid dishwasher KUDS301X runs only for 10 minutes then stops

11 posts in this topic

Wash cycle runs for only 10 minutes. Have to run it several times to clean dishes. Control board has been replaced twice.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

can you start it right away, or do you have to wait ?

is it always about 10 minutes ?

Bad model#, but:

Control-Board-W10380685-01505766.jpg

Customer Concern: Dishwasher stops approximately 10 minutes into the cycle, “cancel drains” and goes directly to standby mode (off).

Cause: Testing has determined that cycle stopping may result from a software error that can cause a false error code that cancels the cycle. Techs will see a 6-1 error code recorded in service diagnostics. This issue is very sporadic, and is affected by the location of the household and region of the country. Other conditions that may also cause this “cancel drain” cycle are: siphoning through the drain hose, severe sudsing, and debris in the sump.

Correction:

If the customer experiences a “cancel drain” issue, first check the following:

1. Make sure the dishwasher is installed according to installation instructions provided with the unit.

2. Check for water siphoning out through the drain hose. Ensure that the drain hose end termination point is above the water level in the tub. The drain loop attached to the side of the tub is not sufficient to prevent siphoning.

3. Check for severe sudsing or a malfunctioning Rinse Aid dispenser.

4. Check for locked rotor in wash pump.

5. Check for and remove debris in the bottom of the sump/chopper area.

6. Check for water supply and proper water level in the dishwasher.

7. If all the above checks are OK, then the control will need to be replaced with one that has the upgraded software designed to handle any additional power variation.

Verify new board is Control Board W10380685, the upgraded part.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
Added part links.

Thank you...your response makes sense to me. Can you tell me the thermal fuse is located? thanks again!

...your response makes sense to me. Can you tell me the thermal fuse is located?

? ? ?

isn't that a one-time fuse ?

Don't know. I plan to short it and see if all the cycles work before I go buy a new one.

I don't know of any of the wpl/kit aid dishwashers that have a resettable thermal fuse. Once it cuts out it is dead until you replace the thermal fuse. That won't be the problem. Either the control issue that Chat suggested, or a bad pump motor cutting out on the overload. If it runs for a bit, cuts out then starts up on its own after a few min, it would be the motor. The control panel lights will stay on like normal while this is happening.

isn't that a one-time fuse ?

yes, t's a one time fuse, but, I just fixed one that another repairman had changed the heating element and control  board with same symptoms.

When I got the call the customer filled me in on what had been going on. I ran the diagnostic and everything worked as it should.

Running the diagnostic reset the machine. I went ahead and checked ohms on components and found no problems. I wondered if it had something to do with the wire terminals on the fuse.

3 days later she called. I went over and the fuse was blown this time. Replaced it with the kit and haven't heard from her for a couple of weeks.

What that tells me is the fuse doesn't always have to blow.

So, now I'm thinking to always be very suspicious of that fuse and wiring that gets replaced with the kit, even if the fuse isn't bad.

Reg, I just reread the posted problem. It's not exactly the same because this one will restart without having to be reset. The one I was working on had to be reset and may run 10 to 30 minutes before it shut off. It was also flashing an error which meant it wasn't heating.