Learn how to be your own tech line…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
kfnpemai

Roper Dryer blowing thermal fuse

6 posts in this topic

Roper Model RED4440VQI

Wouldn't start so checked thermal fuse and it needed replacement.  Replaced it and dryer ran for about 5 minutes then blew again.  Any suggestions what to do next.

Thanks

Kevin

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Was this the part you replaced?

Thermal-Fuse-3392519-00882790.jpg

If so, then there a couple of things to check out:

1.  The dryer vent may be clogged, restricted, external flapper stuck closed, etc., causing restricted air flow.  Restricted air flow in a dryer vent will cause the thermal fuse to blow.  For more info on dryer venting and air flow problems, see this post.  

2.  Is the heating element staying on all the time, for example, when the dryer is running in air fluff (no heat) cycle, is the dryer still heating?  If so, then you may have a grounded heating element or the thermostat may be stuck closed.  I usually replace the thermal cutoff kit at the same time I replace a thermal fuse.  

Yes that is the part I replaced, I will follow-up on your recommendations.  But per the wiring diagram, the thermal fuse that I replaced is in line with the motor, not the heater element.  How do I check thermostat.  

yes, the Thermal Fuse is wired in-line with the Drum Motor,

but physically in the heated air-flow path.

When the air gets too hot, the Fuse blows,

and stops the Drum Motor which has its Centrifugal Switch controlling the Heater.

How do I check thermostat to see if stuck closed ?

more likely the other problems mentioned..

check those first