Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
dryerman45

NOT SO CRAZY CUSTOMER

21 posts in this topic

I have a old lady that I repaired her dishwasher a few weeks ago and she called today to say that the latch is missing on it.

Being that I replaced the control touchpad on it I looked for her old part and found it.This unit does not have a mechanical latch,just a handle to pull open and close when ready to use.I asked her if the unit is working ok and she said yes but beleives that I didnt put the latch back and insists that she knows it for a fact.Very frustrating.I offered to come back and show her the old part and show her that that model never had a latch.She said that I could have done anything with the old part and wont except that.Then I said what is that I can do for you to make you satisfied,she said nothing and said she would never use me again.The MODEL # IS MDBH979AWW3.So besides getting very frustrated She paid with a credit card and you know what that means.Anyway any tips from you pros would be appreciated.

Thanks

SAMANERA

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Get an official statement from Maytag stating the unit does not have a latch. Send it to her with a letter appologizing for any misunderstanding. Then let it go.

On the other hand there apparently is a latch...then you got some major sucking up to do.

I looked for her old part and found it.

Not sure what you mean here: you mean you found it laying inside the dishwasher or you found it at your parts house?

Not sure what you mean here: you mean you found it laying inside the dishwasher or you found it at your parts house?

I think he meant he looked for the old control part and when he found it, it did not have a latch. That's how i interpreted it.

I would print off a large parts diagram of the area she says had a latch and let her try and find it or let her try and order one from someplace and offer to reimburse and install it once she finds one. The sad thing is, this is not an isolated case. I am seeing these kinds of false memories popping up all the time, I never would have thought appliance repair would involve Psychotherapy, but it seems to more and more.

Hey guys thanks for the input.

I realize that there is a latch inside the unit but what she is saying is that it is part of the handle and it is not.

She is having a false memory about another dishwasher she must have had.When I asked her if the dishwasher is working ok she says yes.

I know on some models when you reach the grasp you also push in a latch but not on this model.

I will try to get something from maytag and send her a letter.Frickin crazy.

Thanks

SAMANERA

If she has any family that can be reached, get in contact with one of them, and let them know what's going on.

Or, for that matter anyone else that may be helping her. If there is no one then I'm sure you have other things to spend your time on.

She's made her mind up somethings wrong and you won't change it. That just hapens when you get older.

Huh, by the way, what did you do with my flashlight?!!

Did you take the handle off her old panel and put it on the new one. Raynormensk posted the handle above. The new panel doesn't come with it. This may be difference she is feeling/seeing with the panel. The first one I replaced I wasn't paying attention and I left it off. Had to go back and install the handle. 2 trips equal no profit.... Shame on me.

Don't feel bad applianceman97, I did the same thing on one of these almost exact same models.

Only realized it after tearing the whole console membrane apart looking for causes of failed touchpad and the "Handle hole cover" was found laying on my lap.

Well at least I'm not the only one.

i have forgotten to transfer over that part when i replaced one of those control panels as well

Then when you inevitably take the part back after having disputed her, probably a good idea to take some roses with you.

t4403_zpsccd4fe14.gif

btw, you could start the healing process by modifying or requesting a title modification re: "crazy customer"

Ok I feel like a first class heel.I went back to this Lady and low and behold Iam the one that needs phycotherapy because I neglected to transfer over that hand grasp.I reacted to what she said instead of beleiving her.Anyway I have to blame it on thee small 1 out of ten customer that has abused me over the years..

Iam glad you guys answered this because I would have left it thinking that she was crazy.Iam going to believe and listen more carefully to a customers complaint in the future

SAMANERA

Well dryerman,  I like the fact the you are seeking the truth more than what's convenient or easiest. I know someone that is not only honest, but, shows a lot of integrity

I had the same thing happen to me dryerman. Thats why when i saw your post i knew exactly what happened. i got a not so happy customer as well. I went back and got it all switched and now she is a great customer. Im glad you let us know what happened. A lot of techs may may not have admitted it. (at  least in my town) KUDOS.

I agree, kudos Dryerman for doing the right thing. .trust me, aint none of us here casting any stones.

Moral of the story: In the appliance repair game, it takes balls to step up to the plate especially after realizing your bat wasn't a bat after all. (come on now guys, ya gotta admit that's pretty good for 3:30 in the morning.... uh... hello?.... guys?)

Who here will cast the first stone?

ps slightly modifying your thread title but i certainly will change it back if you so desire.

I notice that someone changed the title of this topic from the original, "CRAZY CUSTOMER" to "NOT SO CRAZY CUSTOMER."   

For the record, it wasn't me.   :peepwallA:

I notice that someone changed the title of this topic from the original, "CRAZY CUSTOMER" to "NOT SO CRAZY CUSTOMER."

For the record, it wasn't me. :peepwallA:

Lol it was me.... guilty as charged... I know how difficult it is for those, who take so much pride in the work they do, to issue a mea culpa. Sometimes doing so can make them feel less certain of their abilities. The reality is, this type of person makes the best tech, by far. This truism, however, doesn't always satisfy and being men we never ask but sometimes need a sHa_grouphug3.gif

That being said, what we must always remember is those little google and bing bots we see logged in all the time, love to make this stuff available to the public. A relative or friend of the customer searching this issue wouldn't need much deductive prowess and probably likes to tattle. That would create a situation a few roses could not remedy. Maybe moving it to the Dojo would have been better (that's right non-members, that's where we go to talk about you behind your backs... so you better join up to protect your reputation). And my final point? ..... Chicken!