Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
ApplianceDoctor

GE Refrigerator Evaporator Frosting Up

5 posts in this topic

I have GE refrigerator M # GSS22JFMDCC, evaporator is frosting all the way through it, but top half of evaporator coil has excessive frost and some ice. This does not look like a normal defrost problem. I bypassed board with jumper wire and defrost heater came on which usually indicates a bad sensor. But with the excessive frost and ice on top half of evaporator I am not 100 percent sure. Does this sounds like a sealed system problem? Can anyone help me. Thank You

Appliance Doctor

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like a classic case of a bad evaporator thermistor (clipped to the evaporator) causing incomplete defrosts.  It gets water in it which raises its resistance and makes the muthaboard think it should stop defrosting too early.  Check the resistance of that thermistor with it dunked in a glass of ice water, should get around 16 k-ohms.  Measure the resistance from its wire harness connector back on the muthaboard.  

Evaporator Thermistor

Thermistor-WR55X10025-00855831.jpg

... and make sure all of the Thermistors are the "newer" type

1192074498_YnRVM-M.png

Thanks for all your help

Also on GE thermistor replacement, Use a crimp style wire nut and fill the bottom with silicone so moisture cant get into the connection.

I learned this one the hard way... on my own refrigerator.

VF