LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Losing heat fast?

carlee

My family is complaining that the shower is going cold easily (faster than normal) and they are having to turn the hot water on more to keep the shower hot.  This is happening even with the first shower of the day so it's not the water getting low.   I don't notice it so much, but I take pretty short showers compare to the kids and my husband.   I read in another post about how something could be the shower cartride valve?  Is there some way of testing to see if it's that or an issue with the hot water heater itself?

My husband did flush the hot water heater to make sure there wasn't sediment in the shower, but the problem still persists.

Thanks!

does the hot water get cold if you run it in the sink, when the shower is running cold ?

is the water heater Electric or Gas ?

Edited by Cactus Bob
  • Like 1

No one is taking a shower right now so I ran the water in kitchen sink for 10 minutes on a warm setting (104.6 degrees) after 5 minutes the temperature dropped about 1.5 degreees after 10 minutes it had dropped to 102 degrees.  No other water was running in the house at that time or had been for a significant amount of time since this morning.

It is a gas heater AO Smit part number FGR 40 J000N0 10000

Does this help?  I don't know what is normal for hot water to drop when running.  I can try the sink again when the shower runs next either tonight or tomorrow moring.

Thanks for your help!

yes you must check the temp at the sink or somewhere other than the shower

but only after the shower has gone cooler

if both places have the cooler water your problem is in the water heater

if not and water in the sink is still hotter

the problem would be in the shower controls themselves

• Like 1

Thanks Kohai, I'll make that check.  If it's the hot water heater what might cause this problem?

Edited by carlee

there still may be gunk in the bottom of the water heater , the fitting you drain from is about 2 inches from the bottom of the tank . this has to be because the way the welding is done around the bottom and the fitting itself . so you never really get all the gunk out

or it might be a lazy gas valve thermostat , that takes it time calling for hot water even though the water is cold enough to trip the thermostat

in this case I would turn up the thermostat a little bit so the control works in another spot on the lever inside the control , and see if it helps

• Like 1