Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
drkwoods

Washer Dryer Combo Error Code ER13, Haier, Summit, Ariston

32 posts in this topic

My 5 month old Haier hwd1600, (same machine is the Summit SPWD1800) is not drying and early in the dry cycle stops and throws out error code ER13.. Because I put this tiny machine in my tiny office at work the manufacutrer is calling it a "Commercial" installation.. So I get only a 90 day warranty. Anyhoo. I'll take any help I can get since even the Tech repair guy who looked at it said "Its a guess as to which part failed". Error 13 is related to the "Dryer Heater Error"..  If you search the web you'll find hundreds of people getting this same error with this piece of Junk machine. If we can figure this thing out, there's probably a lot of money to be made helping people fix these and buy parts. Because I am yet to find people who know how to fix this machine, including the repair company who looked at it.. 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I don't have anything on this unit but I'll bet it's a bad thermostat, probably located at the top on the heater air channel.

And, to make our joy complete, Haier has totally re-jiggered their websites so everything goes through http://www.haieramerica.com/ and I don't see anyplace at that site for servicers to log in and get tech info.  

Great find, Willie!  

Another dead end : ( Glad you found that Sensei! But I need the hwd1600 or the SummitSPWD1800. O that web site there is nothing for those machines. Now what?

The 1500 manual does describe the error code ER13 as this:

ER13-Failure information: Sheathed Heating Elements or drying

motor abnormity.

There are several reasons at it:

1. Thermal link is broken; 2.The connection between thermal link and wire is not suitable; 3. Sheathed heating elements is broken; 4. The connection between sheathed heating elements and wire is not suitable; 5. Thermostat is broken; 6. The connection between thermostat and wire is not suitable; 7.PCB is broken.

Thoughts on this?

Ok good. Don't know how I missed that. I saw no icons for my machine. But now I will run the self test and go from there

OK self test goes all the way through and seems to find nothing wrong.. Next step? 

I decided to try and run a dry mode alone on 1 single wet towl. The 30 min "Touch Up" mode ran for 15 min and then threw code ER13..   I opened the "Button Trap" or "Filter" door and about a qt of water flooded out. ( Condensing water I assume since no water was in the machine to start)     Where do I go next , open it up? How? and what part would I test first?

ideas??  I need to get a little more direction here.. I can take it apart no problems.. but need some ideas?  I know thermostat is prob likely, but unit does heat up and quits 5 min into heating with the code 13.. 

Still thinking it's that upper t-stat by the fan.  Pop the top and check continuity.  T-stat kit p/n WD-7350-08

Still thinking it's that upper t-stat by the fan.  Pop the top and check continuity.  T-stat kit p/n WD-7350-08

You know, Brother Duff, we're all gonne be amazed and impressed-- with both you and drkwoods-- if that tstat tests open!   :dude:

That's gonna make four of us, padnah.

Got my money on Pduff and drkwoods...

come on. tstat!,,.bring it home to daddy..baby needs some new shoes......

animated-roulette-wheel.gif

well I got the lid off and found the T-stat but my tester isnt here. :yucky:    So I'll test it at home tonight..  by the way.. What temps should this thermostat open up at? Its 100 here today..LOL

Im assuming 125f cause of the L-125? 

Edited by drkwoods

Got the T-Stat out and just tested it.. Circuit is closed at room temp and opens at 130 degrees.. Now what? ER13 code in the service tech pdf says this:

Failure information: Sheathed Heating Elements or drying 

motor abnormity. There are several reasons at it:
1. Thermal link is broken;
2.The connection between thermal link and wire is not suitable;
3. Sheathed heating elements is broken; 
4. The connection between sheathed heating elements and wire is not suitable; 
5. Thermostat is broken;
6. The connection between thermostat and wire is not suitable;
7.PCB is broken

It appears the #5 is not the prob  where would you go next and how would you test that?

Edited by drkwoods

The parts picture at RepairClinic shows a gray wire that connects to the t-stat with a sheath over it, the service manual says:

1. Thermal link is broken;
2.The connection between thermal link and wire is not suitable

That wire connection may have a thermal fuse in the center which the insulating sheath is most likely hiding.

I don't know anything about the unit but I would be focusing on figuring out what the thermal link is and checking it.

The error all points to something in the heating circuit so you need to check the heating system from the board and thru the heater to see where you loose continuity.

Should that thermal link be normally closed or open?

A thermal link should be closed, it is a one time thermal safety device, too much current/heat and it opens and has to be replaced.

Again, I don't know if that is in-fact the thermal link that is being talked about - just using logic of seeing that it comes with the t-stat kit and the problems the ER13 code mentioned about the thermal link.

Thermal link (sheathed wire off thermostat) is closed and seems normal. No burn or heat marks. I ran the dryer and felt the motor spin and could hear air flow. I saw someone else mention lint getting stuck in this plenum assembly below the thermostat but I can't tell yet.

How about fan operation by the t-stat and thermal link?  If fan is working we might be looking at a full on lobotomy.

Yea the fan runs. I felt the back side of the shaft spinning with the dryer mode on

Well Ive tried everything and it all tests out ok. The thermostat, thermal link (fuseable) , the fan motor, the condensing tank (did have quite a bit of lint but not enough to stop drying), the Heater is fine.. 

I get ER13 code about 15 min into a dry cycle.. The wash cycles are all fine, no problem.  If I run the touch-up dry cycle it will error code in 15 min, I feel heat and there is decent fan and air flow, the clothes are even beginning to dry. Ive tried running the quick cycle again right after the Error code and it has made it through to complete a couple of times and didnt error or stop. So Im guessing I'll replace the pcb?  Can i test it? is there more than one?