Troubleshoot modern appliances with confidence…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BornABruin

Kennmore Trio - Freezer OK, Fridge warm

8 posts in this topic

I've been doing some diagnosis of my partially working Kennmore Trio (596-73502201) bottom freezer refrigerator.  I believe that I have a dead evaporator fan (since I can't hear or feel any air being blown).  I need to dissassemble the freezer to make sure but can't do that until tomorrow morning.  I'm wonding if I can build a kluge to keep things runing until tomorrow until I can find parts.  I'm thinking of using a couple of PC case fans and move air though the air returns. 

Question:  in what direction does the air flow in the refrigerator?  Does it flow into the refrigerator from the damper to the air return vents the bottom rear of the frige (or the other direction)? 

Or am I crazy and should live with the dead frig until the parts arrive?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Air is drawn through the evaporator by the evaporator fan and pushed through the belt adjusted damper at the top rear center of the fresh food compartment.  The air returns to the freezer section via ducts located behind crisper drawers.  Make sure evaporator is not overfrosted.  If evaporator frost pattern looks good and fan is not running then evap fan motor is the usual suspect.  P/N 12002225

a picture of your frost pattern would help.....does the fan turn when you keep the light switch pressed in and/or the bottom drawer closed? You have no idea how many times I think.."oh the fan isn't working"...then I remember to press the light switch or close the doors.

I'm not sure if the fan should run when the doors are open, but I did try the two door switches.  The lights turned off but the fan still didn't run.  I'll try to post a picture of the frost pattern tomorrow morning.

a picture of your frost pattern would help.....does the fan turn when you keep the light switch pressed in and/or the bottom drawer closed? You have no idea how many times I think.."oh the fan isn't working"...then I remember to press the light switch or close the doors.

I believe the Door Switches need to be closed.

Will the Evaporator Fan run at all if given a "push" ?

Is that one of those Amanas that use the Defrost Bi-metal in the Evaporator Fan circuit ?

Does the Defrost work OK ?

Do you have a wiring diagram you could scan & post ?

I forgot to close the door switches.  On the other hand, I did give the fan a push and it did start turning, but not at any significant speed (at least not enough to push any volume of air up into the refrigerator. 

Unfortuantely I do not have a schematic -- it would have been useful here to be sure. 

------------------------------------------

I believe the Door Switches need to be closed.

Will the Evaporator Fan run at all if given a "push" ?

Is that one of those Amanas that use the Defrost Bi-metal in the Evaporator Fan circuit ?

Does the Defrost work OK ?

Do you have a wiring diagram you could scan & post ?

I thought I would close out the tread -- it was the Evaporator motor.  I replaced the motor and all is well with both the refrigerator and freezer again.  Thanks for everyone's help!

I have a new problem with a dedicated chest style freezer, but that is a problem for a different thread...

Thanks for the update. Not only are we glad you fixed it but your post and resolution are valuable to us as well as it adds to the collective knowledge of this site. Great job!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0