Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Tsuriman

GE Commercial WMCD2050JWC Coin-op

14 posts in this topic

I have a coin operated GE washer that stops at 12 minutes and hums.  The motor is flashing 4 times. I have reset it once but throws the codes and stops again.  It fills and drains fine, I am not sure about the agitation.

What is my next move?  

Much Appreciated.

Tsuriman

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Not where I can look up your model number, but if its a newer hydro wave with the inverter motor, the shifter has failed. If you pull the 2 wire plug off the front of the motor (wires run to the center tub shaft yellow and orange wire I think) you should have someone around 98 ohms. Really your just checking to see if its open or closed. If no continuity the shifter failed. Just changed one of these a few days ago. Big job. You have to change the whole center shaft that runs through the tub. Not hard just time consuming.

Motor error codes

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2009/11/10/ge-hydrowave-top-loading-washer-wont-run/

Shifter and shaft replacement

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2010/08/24/how-to-replace-the-shaft-and-mode-shifter-assembly-in-a-ge-hydro-wave-top-loading-washer/

Edited by applianceman97

This is a model with motor/inverter and mode shifter but a failed mode shifter coil would not cause the washer to stop operating. It would just cause the basket to agitate in agitation mode. May be a bad mode shifter and motor/inverter. Mode shifter should read about 98 ohms or 65 ohms, ,depending on version.

Eric

The one I just did had a failed shifter and completely shit down and wouldn't work. When the motor stores a fault it shuts the whole machine down I thought. Maybe mine was just a freak thing but it shut the whole machine down. Once I changed the shifter it all worked perfect again.

That may be the case for certain models but all the service manuals I have on these hydrowave models state: "When a mode shifter error occurs, the LED blinks 4 times at a rate of ¼ second on and ¼ second off for the remainder of a 6 second period. The motor continues to operate with this error." I have seen these washers operating with failed mode shifter which causes the basket to agitate instead of just the agitator. The manuals also state: "Critical Errors, #1, #2, & #7, will prevent inverter/motor from operating".

Eric

Edited by fairbank56

Maybe mine had something funky going on then. Thanks for the info! Good to know for further servicing. Only have worked on a few of these.

Thank you!

Appreciate all the quick replies.

ONE PROBLEM I GAVE THER WRONG MODEL # is WCRD2050F3WC

Still the same diagnostic?  Part is probably different?

Sorry for the caps above.  I guess I didnt need to yell.

Anyhoo.  Figured it out that the clutch is the same regardless of the above model numbers.  I think I will take it apart, then order the parts.  

I plan to do any preventative mainenance as it appears I will be completely disassembling the unit.  For now I plan to replaced a cracked up tub cover and the belt.

Any other seals or gaskets or anything I should replace while i'm knee deep in this thing?

Thanks!

Edited by Tsuriman

ONE PROBLEM I GAVE THER WRONG MODEL # is WCRD2050F3WC

Still the same diagnostic?  Part is probably different?

Same type of washer:  GE Hydrowave design.  So, yes, same diagnostic applies. 

The shaft and shifter assy comes with a new tub seal.

Tenant called.  Same washer is stopping on 12 minutes again.  I will go over and check for a code and try to reset it.

Is it the clutch again?  Do clutches crap out?  I am pretty sure they overload the washer regularly but seems too soon.  

Never mind.  Someone turned the cold water off.   :rolleyes:

Did you charge your tenants extra, (aggra$$$). Just like I don't think a manufacturer should pay for a service company to teach a consumer how to use their appliance or read the directions, I think if a landlord has to do extra because of the tenant it should cost. Time is money. That's only if it's a landlord and not a slumlord!