LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Trane Compressor Fan Not Spinning

bpweems

I've got a Trane 2TWR1030A1000AB Heat Pump whose Compressor fan has ceased to spin today. The fan spins freely by hand both directions. When the thermostat is set to Cool, the Compressor Motor Contactor energizes, the fan attempts to move (about 1/8" rotation). When the thermostat is set to Off, the Motor Contactor deenergizes. The fan motor housing is also warm (after sitting without power all night I noticed the compressor is warm...is this Normal?). I found the schematics for the unit and after following all the various colored wires from the Compressor Motor Contactor, I can find NO Start Kit with an associated Start Capacitor, however, the parts list for the fan motor (MOT11051) seems to indicate a capacitor is integral to the motor? Is this possible or could the problem be the Run Capacitor? Thanks.

Edited by bpweems

Are the contactor points burned?

All contactor wiring in good condition?

Is the compressor running?

With the system set to run,can you use a long screwdriver to spin the fan blade?
Is the fan motor capacitor good? Bulged on top?

220 volts in and out on the contactor?

• Like 1

Most units use a "Dual Capacitor" however you say the motor is warm and fan blade seems to bind indicating the motor is at fault

... The fan spins freely by hand both directions.

Look at the capacitor. The top of the cap should apear flat except for the connectors. The connectors should also be level and square with each other. If the top of the capacitor is domed like a frozen can of soda, the cap has failed, this will prevent the motors from starting g and they will hum and get hot. Replacement of the cap involves matching the numbers before the MFD and match or exceed the VAC rating. For example 35/5MFD @ 370VAC. The Voltage rating may be exceeded 440VAC in place of a 370VAC, but the MFD (micro Farads) MUST MATCH EXACTLY. The cap will have 3 terminal groups marked as: H ( or Herm/ Hermetically sealed compressor), F (fan), and C (common). The compressor start winding goes to H, the fan start winding to F, and the C goes to L2 ( the opposite leg from the L1 which is feeding both of the motors).

Since you say you have a hard start kit installed in this condensor, make sure you are looking at the right capacitor. The plastic one is the hard start 75-188MFD is the normal for these) and the metal can one is the start/run cap. Take a photo of the dome of the cap to share, if you have a DVM that has capacitor test on it(. -)I- symbol) then AFTER YOU DISCONNECT POWER AND VERIFY IT IS DISCONNECTED WITH A METER, disconnect the wired from the H then meter from H to C and see if the number is close to the rating. If off by more than 10% It is bad. If you real nothing at all, it is bad. Order replacement and install.

what seer is this unit? if it's a 16 or above it will have an ecm motor. The motor is wired directly from power and low voltage controls it. some motors the board is in the motor and some it's seperate. It is an expensive motor. hope it's under warranty.

Stefan

Ahh-Cool A/c

Sorry I just finished completely reading your post. you definately have an ecm motor.

you need to shut off the breaker to the condenser before you burn up the compressor.

just some advice

Sorry I just finished completely reading your post. you definately have an ecm motor.

you need to shut off the breaker to the condenser before you burn up the compressor.

just some advice

GOOD CATCH!

Trane Condenser Motor MOT11051
1/4 HP
200/230V
60Hz
Single Phase
1075 RPM
CCW
48 Frame
Sleeve Bearing
Requires 5mfd 370V Capacitor

Well guess what?  The beauty of having two units...the run capacitor is bad as confirmed by swapping the cap from my Lennox unit to the Trane.

however, the parts list for the fan motor (MOT11051) seems to indicate a capacitor is integral to the motor? Is this possible or could the problem be the Run Capacitor? Thanks.

sorry, I didn't look it up I was just going off this statement