Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Heat Pump Not Cooling

ApplianceDoctor

I have a customer called and said that their heat pump was not cooling. When I arrived I confirmed that there was a problem and unit was not cooling. I found everything was running even the compressor was running. I connected gauges to unit and found while compressor was running the high and low side pressures were equalized. This sounds to me like a bad or inefficient compressor. Is there any other thing or component could be bad in this unit that would cause the high and low pressure to be equalized while the compressor is running? Can anyone help me with this?

Thank You

ApplianceDoctor

What refrigerant is in system?

What are the pressures?
What are LRA draw? (locked rotor)

What is LRA rating?
What are running amp draw?

What is running amp rating?

Is reversing valve actuating or stuck mid range?

Refrigerant is R-22

Low side pressure 125 psig

High side pressure 125 or 130

LRA rating on compressor 48 amps

Unit is actually drawing while running 3.7 amps

Info. on label on unit is wore off could not see RLA

I can hear reversing valve clicking and energizing but

cant hear sound of gas switch.

Pressures are equalized or almost equalized.

I don't work on a lot of a/c heat pumps, no heat in south florida, but it sounds like your reversing valve is stuck mid position. try hitting it with the back of a screwdriver and try putting on the heat see if it moves and what are the pressures in heat?

Ahh-Cool A/C

Running amps is too low.

Remove the compressor relay cover and check for a broken wire on compressor.

Verify the compressor capacitor is good.

• Like 1

How would the compressor be running with a broken wire? Even if it had a bad capacitor, would the compressor still run as it is doing? I have run unit in heat and cool position and pressures are still equalized. Would a reversing valve stuck in mid position cause the pressures to be equalized?

Thanks

ApplianceDoctor

again I don't work on a lot of heat pumps. the compressor pumps refrigerant to the reversing valve and the valve determins which way the refrigerant goes. if it's stuck in mid position it willpump to the valve and bypass right back to the compressor

Thanks guys for all your help.

ApplianceDoctor

Sounds like he's given up on us.

I don't believe the compressor is running. He's hearing a lot of racket from the outside unit fan, and assuming the compressor is making some of that racket.

Where in the circuit did he check for amp draw? Did he mistakenly get the fan L1? 3.7 A would be about right.

It is not likely that pressures would be equal on both sides if the compressor was actually running. 125 PSIG corresponds to about 100 degrees F ambient, typical of an outdoor coil in the summer sun. The indoor coil P/T would correspond if he's taking pressures at the outdoor coil.

I'd have to be standing there to say for sure, but I bet our man has a bad capacitor.

Edited by jb8103

the fan amp draw should be anywhere between .8 and 1.5. 3.7 is too much for a fan, unless the fan is bad