Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Thirstytech

Maytag Atlantis MAV8551AWW Over Fills

6 posts in this topic

Checked out a Maytag Atlantis today that over fills the basket on the initial fill.

What I've checked so far:

When it's filling if I disconnect the power (pull the plug out) the water stops

I blew into the pressure switch and it stopped filling and started agitating

Took the pressure hose off, blew into it and its nice and clear.  Also, put one finger over the end and blew in the other end no noticeable leaks

Initially I was thinking the water valve, but was looking for more input.

Edited by Thirstytech

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

These mechanical pressure switches can also fail by either not switching over (problem with the internal switch contacts) or by going out of calibration (deformed diaphragm).  It sounds to me like the pressure switch has gone out of cal.  

Checked out a Maytag Atlantis today that over fills the basket on the initial fill.

This implies that the subsequent fills are normal.  Is this true?  

These mechanical pressure switches can also fail by either not switching over (problem with the internal switch contacts) or by going out of calibration (deformed diaphragm).  It sounds to me like the pressure switch has gone out of cal.  

This implies that the subsequent fills are normal.  Is this true?  

Yes, the subsequent fills are normal.  In fact they told me the over fill ONLY happens on the first load after the machine has not been used for a few days.  If they do more loads after the first over fill load the machine performs normally.  I witnessed this myself today.  

click on picture
Pressure-Switch-22004200-00990250.jpg

Mucho gracias for the assistance Samurai & RegUS !

I will liberate this Maytag with a fresh pressure switch  :dude: