Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
PebbleInHand

Bosch Dishwasher Water Fill Issue

43 posts in this topic

I have a Bosch SHX46B06UC /14 dishwasher.  When the cycle starts there is just a small amount of water coming out of the bottom spray apparatus.  Having read the troubleshooting guide it appears the water inlet valve is the likely culprit. 

Any other thoughts?   Also, I didn't install the machine.  Are these hardwired or plugged into an outlet?  

Is there a service manual available?

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check filter plate at tub base for buildup.  This model also has a tendency to collect foreign material in the lower spray arm.  Remove spray arm by lift up and off of hub.  Rinse out with water and check all spray arm ports for blockage.  Depending on the age of your kitchen the d/w could be either hardwired or have an electrical cord plugged into outlet.

I've cleared out all the spray arms flushed them with high pressure water and they work fine.  When I turn on the machine it sounds like it normally did when functioning but if you open the door there is just  small amount of water coming out of the bottom spray arm. 

Your main pump impeller may be blocked or stripped out.

Manually add water to verify if the water level is sufficient for good water flow.

If you still have the pumping problem,change out the impeller on the wash pump motor.

Thanks for the link to the video.   Very helpful.   I'll order the part and give it a shot. 

I'm about two minutes into this video and too many things are different than my machine.  Different wiring set up.  Metal plates on the sides covering the hinge covers.  Is there any point in proceeding?  I'm concerned about taking this whole thing apart and realizing I have the wrong part.  

thanks

It is the correct part.  All the guts are the same, don't let the external differences deter you.  Stay the course.  Be strong.  Use the Force.  Gird up your loins like a man.  Grok the training manual:  http://appliantology.org/files/file/58-the-official-bosch-dishwasher-training-repair-manual-2nd-edition-rev-7/

I replaced the part and managed to put it all back together and it is the same as it was before.  Turn it on, it sounds like its working but when you open the door there is just a little trickle of water coming out of the bottom sprayer arm. 

Any ideas?

does it have enough water ?

did you try and add some as was suggested ?

How do I know if it has enough water?  I filled up the sump. 

Place a glass open end UP in the lower rack and the upper rack.

Run the dishwasher 5 minutes in the wash cycle.

Open the door at the end of the cycle and see how much water is in each glass.

No water in either glass.  When I open the door there is a small amount of low pressure water coming out of the holes on the lower washer arm.  But just dribbling out.  

Check drain hose for a proper "gooseneck" where it connects to disposer or sink drain to prevent siphoning.  If drain hose is installed correctly and you're getting sufficient water fill and wash impeller is new and working then there has to be something interfering with water flow.  Recheck for obstructions in sump, spray arms and manifold.

I've blown out the spray arms with my hose. They seem fine.  Any advice on how to best check the manifold and sump?  

I ran the test again and after five minutes I had an inch of water in my lower rack glass. None in the top.  But now when I open it there is significantly more water flowing.  Also, prior to this incident where the water flow stopped the top had been not washing as effectively as the bottom. 

Check drain hose for a proper "gooseneck" where it connects to disposer or sink drain to prevent siphoning.  

Pebble, have you checked the drain hose for siphoning?

I have not.  I checked that it was installed properly.  Is there a way to test for siphoning?  If there is extra drain hose length should I cut that out?

And is there a way I can check the manifold for blockage?  Everything else seems clear. 

I have not.  I checked that it was installed properly.  Is there a way to test for siphoning?  If there is extra drain hose length should I cut that out?

Yes, watch the drain discharge while it's washing.  Should not be any water flow coming out.  

No siphoning.  

Okay, let's review where we are so far:

- water fills to the proper level in the basin

- visual verification that the water is not siphoning out during wash

- wash impeller and seal kit have been replaced

- wash motor is getting proper voltage and running

- water is not circulating properly in the dishwasher

Possible Conclusions:

- one or more of the facts stated above are incorrect

- impeller and seal kit were installed incorrectly

- internal blockage restricting intake to wash impeller

- bad wash motor

Am I missing something?

I have not tested the wash motor and am filled with dread at what that might require.  

I think some type of blockage is a possibility. 

I must say that the impeller and seal kit that I removed looked very good and I was pretty certain they were not the problem.  

The one other thing is that initially it was getting a very small amount of low pressure water when in wash cycle.  Now after five minutes I open it up, there is steamy hot air coming out and significantly more water but still not getting water to the top level as per the upturned glass test.  I have not checked for blockage in the manifold because I haven't figured out how yet.  

...  Having read the troubleshooting guide

do you have or need the 144 page (Bosch / Sears) service manual ?

do you have or need the 144 page (Bosch / Sears) service manual ?

That's the one I linked him to in my preceding post.  

This machine is 11 years old.  Before I dedicate more money and time and blood loss (sump connection was quite sharp) to this project I'm curious what your experience is with how long these things will last.

thanks